Health Department

Food, Lodging & Pools
Public Service Center
250 S. 4th St., Room 510
Minneapolis, MN 55415


A public swimming pool includes any pool, other than a private residential pool, operated by any person whether the person is an owner, lessee, operator, or concessionaire.

Pools include swimming pools, spa pools (hot tubs), water parks, plunge pools with flume slides, therapy pools, wave pools, splash pads and interactive water features. Public pools are those located in parks, schools, licensed child care facilities, Home Owners Associations, group homes, motels, camps, resorts, apartment buildings, clubs, condominiums and hotels or any licensed lodging facility.

In Minneapolis, public swimming pools are required to be licensed. Prior to the operation of any public swimming pool, the owner or operator is required to file an application with Minneapolis Business Licensing for a license to operate a pool.

Download a copy of the Minneapolis pool chemical concentration chart here.

Trained operator required

Minnesota State Pool Code requires every public pool have a designated trained operator (or designated alternate trained operator) responsible for the direct operation of the pool whenever the pool is open for use.

The trained operator is responsible for:


A public pool must be closed immediately when:

Reporting a complaint

Any concerns of unsanitary appearance or other conditions in the operation of a public swimming pool which may constitute a substantial hazard to the public health can be reported online to the Minneapolis Health Department or by calling 311.

Annual inspection

Public swimming pools are inspected yearly under the Minneapolis Code of Ordinances, Chapter 231: Public Swimming Pool Code.

Find more information about public pools, on the Minnesota Department of Health website.


Minneapolis Health Department Logo

Should you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301. 

Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500

Last updated Jan 25, 2017