Health Department

Food, Lodging & Pools
Public Service Center
250 S. 4th St., Room 510
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Hotels, Motels and Lodging

A hotel establishment is generally defined as a building or structure kept, used, maintained, advertised or held out to the public to be a place where sleeping or rooming accommodations are furnished to the general public for a shorter period of time than one week, with or without meals.

In Minneapolis, hotels and motels are required to be licensed. Prior to operation of any hotel or motel, the owner or operator is required to file an application with Minneapolis Business Licensing for a license to operate such a facility.

Hotels and motels are inspected regularly under the Minneapolis Code of Ordinance Chapter 297.

Any concerns of unsanitary appearance or other conditions in the operation of the facility which may constitute a substantial hazard to the public health can be reported online to the Minneapolis Health Department.

Sex Trafficking Prevention training required by November 28, 2018

Do you know about the new state law requiring sex trafficking prevention training for the lodging industry? 

The Minnesota lodging industry is an important partner in preventing sex trafficking. 

To support you, an approved practical training package is being created for you! The MN Hotel Training Package will be available to download from after November 1, 2018.

Training must be completed by November 28, 2018. 

The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH), in partnership with the Minnesota Lodging Association, is creating the Sex Trafficking Prevention & Response Training (The MN Hotel Training Package) for the Minnesota lodging industry. 

Under the new law, the MN Hotel Training Package is required for most hotel and motels in Minnesota. 

At the MDH hotel trafficking website, find information about the role of hotels and motels, the Safe Harbor Program, answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) and other topics. 

Do you have questions? Contact an Environmental Health Supervisor by calling 311 (outside Minneapolis call 612-673-3000) or email [email protected] 

Bed bugs

Not all guests are welcome! 

Bed bug information for hotels and motels - English, Spanish

Bed bug information for lodging residences - English, Spanish


Minneapolis Health Department LogoShould you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.

Last updated Oct 19, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo