Health Department

Food, Lodging & Pools
Public Service Center
250 S. 4th St., Room 510
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Permits for Minneapolis public events with food and/or beverages

Civic Events, Community Celebrations & Minneapolis Convention Center Public Events

Minneapolis is host to hundreds of public events each year – ranging from very small to very large, both indoors and outdoors.

The City of Minneapolis requires an Event Food Sponsor Permit for all public events selling or giving away food and/or beverages. This includes sampling (marketing) of food and/or beverage products.

Body Art Events - Information on permits for body art events can be found here. The link to the Body Art Establishment page is also in the left sidebar.  What is a public event?

Most events are public events, including ticketed events. If general members of the public can purchase tickets or attend for free, the event is public. Private events are those that only a pre-defined group of people are invited to or can attend. Examples include family reunions, club or team celebrations and employee appreciation dinners. Private events do not require food permits. 

Event Food Sponsors

The Event Food Sponsor must submit the following items together to Minneapolis Environmental health at least 10 business days before the event.

Note: The Event Food Sponsor application includes one free Short Term Food Permit. The vendor using the free Short Term Food Permit may be the event's sponsoring organization or another food vendor. A Short Term Food Permit application must be submitted for the free food vendor.

During summer months when large volumes of events require approval, Event Food Sponsors are encouraged to turn in all applications and fees as early as possible to ensure plenty of time for review and approval.

Permits must be approved prior to the start of the event.

Selling or giving away food or beverages without a permit will result in closure and a fine.

Event Food Sponsors are responsible for giving information about the Minneapolis Green To Go rules (foam and polystyrene packaging ban) to event food vendors. Visit for information and flyers.


Event Food Sponsor Permit application


Short-Term Food Permit application

Seasonal Food Permit application

Note: Seasonal Food Permit holders may not hold their own event or serve as an Event Food Sponsor.

Food Safety Materials:

Body Art Events

See the Body Art Establishment page here. The link to the Body Art Establishment page is also in the left sidebar.



Minneapolis Health Department Logo

Should you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301. 

Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500

Last updated Feb 27, 2017