Permits for Minneapolis public events with food and/or beverages
Civic Events, Community Celebrations & Minneapolis Convention Center Public Events
Minneapolis is host to hundreds of public events each year – ranging from very small to very large, both indoors and outdoors.
The City of Minneapolis requires an Event Food Sponsor Permit for all public events selling or giving away food and/or beverages. This includes sampling (marketing) of food and/or beverage products.
Body Art Events - Information on permits for body art events can be found here. The link to the Body Art Establishment page is also in the left sidebar.
Farmers and municipal markets proposed ordinance changes
As part of Minneapolis’ Business Made Simple initiative, the Health Department is proposing to eliminate several farmers market vendor categories. Those vendors would apply for a Seasonal Food Permit.
The Seasonal Food Permit allows vendors to sell at farmers markets, civic events, and community celebrations without being required to obtain multiple licenses and permits. As with all events, vendors must be invited to participate and must be listed on the Event Food Sponsor Permit or Farmers Market Vendor List.
The changes in Chapter 201 (Public Markets) and Chapter 202 (Municipal Market) , as well as 188.170 (Short Term Food Permits and Seasonal Food Permits) and 186.50 (Definitions) are to:
- Remove the Market Distributor and Market Manufacturer licenses and replace with the Seasonal Food Permit (effectively allowing those vendors to sell at markets AND events without needing additional permits).
- Update language to be better aligned with [new] state food code (such as recognizing Product of the Farm exempt vendors and MDA registered Cottage Food vendors).
- Simplify confusing language where possible.
- Accurately describe what vendors may not need a Short-Term Food Permit to take part in a public event, including wine and/or beer samplers called “pour-only."
Send your comments on the proposed changes to email@example.com.
What is a public event?
Most events are public events, including ticketed events. If general members of the public can purchase tickets or attend for free, the event is public. Private events are those that only a pre-defined group of people are invited to or can attend. Examples include family reunions, club or team celebrations and employee appreciation dinners. Private events do not require food permits.
Event Food Sponsors
The Event Food Sponsor must submit the following items together to Minneapolis Environmental health at least 10 business days before the event.
- The Event Food Sponsor Permit application.
- Payment for the Event Food Sponsor Permit - see application for fees.
- Short Term Food Permit applications for vendor(s) selling or giving away food or beverage.
- Payment for each Short Term Food Permit application - see application for fees.
Note: The Event Food Sponsor application includes one free Short Term Food Permit. The vendor using the free Short Term Food Permit may be the event's sponsoring organization or another food vendor. A Short Term Food Permit application must be submitted for the free food vendor.
During summer months when large volumes of events require approval, Event Food Sponsors are encouraged to turn in all applications and fees as early as possible to ensure plenty of time for review and approval.
Permits must be approved prior to the start of the event.
Selling or giving away food or beverages without a permit will result in closure and a fine.
Event Food Sponsors are responsible for giving information about the Minneapolis Green To Go rules (foam and polystyrene packaging ban) to event food vendors. Visit www.minneapolismn.gov/GreenToGo for information and flyers.
- To be completed by the event organizer or person in charge of food.
- Fee: $87.00 - $261.00, depending on the number of participating food vendors.
- Fees are discounted 50% for public events at the Minneapolis Convention Center.
- The Event Food Sponsor Permit application must be submitted to Minneapolis Environmental Health at least 10 business days before the event
- See Frequently Asked Questions by Sponsors NOTE: FAQs are in the process of being updated. Email questions to EnvironmentalHealthPermit@minneapolismn.gov.
- To be completed by the vendor selling or giving food or beverage.
- Permit application and fees must be given to the Event Food Sponsor more than 10 business days before the event.
- VENDORS DO NOT SEND APPLICATIONS OR FEES DIRECTLY TO THE CITY. Give them to the Event Food Sponsor.
- Fee: $87.00 per vendor, when submitted on time.
- Fees are discounted 50% for food vendors (exhibitors) at the Minneapolis Convention Center.
- See Frequently Asked Questions by Vendors
- People or businesses planning to participate at three (3) or more civic events, community celebrations or farmers markets in Minneapolis between April 1 through March 31 may choose to apply for the Seasonal Food Permit.
Note: Seasonal Food Permit holders may not hold their own event or serve as an Event Food Sponsor.
- Fee: $232.00 per vendor, when submitted at least 10 business days before the first event.
- Submit the Seasonal Food Permit application and fees directly to Minneapolis Environmental Health - see application for submission and payment information.
- The Seasonal application is valid for one year, making it easier to participate in events.
- Contact information for Seasonal permit holders may be provided to Event Food Sponsors on request for the purpose of contacting vendors to participate in events.
- See Frequently Asked Questions about Seasonal Food Permits
- Event Food Booth Self Inspection checklist
- Guidelines for selling or giving away food and/or beverages at events and markets
- Visit www.minneapolismn.gov/foodsafety for more resources
Body Art Events
See the Body Art Establishment page here. The link to the Body Art Establishment page is also in the left sidebar.
Should you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500
Last updated Apr 6, 2017