Permits for Minneapolis Events
Civic Events, Community Celebrations & Minneapolis Convention Center Public Events
Minneapolis is host to hundreds of public events each year – ranging from very small to very large, both indoors and outdoors. The City of Minneapolis requires permits and approvals for all public events involving the sale or distribution of food and/or beverages or the provision of tattoo and body piercing services. The Food, Lodging and Pools Unit within the Division of Environmental Health is responsible for regulating, inspecting and permitting these public events.
Events Involving Food/Beverage
All public events where food and/or beverages are sold or given away must be organized and run by an Event Food Sponsor (Sponsor).
The Sponsor shall
- Obtain an Event Food Sponsor Permit from the City.
- Submit an application and fees for an Event Food Sponsor Permit, along with all required Short-Term Food Permit applications and fees for invited vendors, a minimum of ten (10) business days prior to the event start date.
During summer months when large volumes of events require approval, it is recommended that Sponsors turn in all applications and fees as soon as possible to ensure plenty of time for processing.
Permits must be approved prior to the start of the event.
Any vendor found selling or dispensing food or beverage without a permit will receive a fine.
Minneapolis Convention Center
All exhibitors planning to sell or dispense food or beverages at events at the Minneapolis Convention Center must have permits and approval from the City of Minneapolis, Food, Lodging & Pools program prior to the start of the event. The event Permitee (referred to as the Event Food Sponsor) is responsible for submitting all permits and payments for exhibitors (see both the Event Food Sponsor Permit and Short Term Food Permit). Any exhibitor found selling or dispensing food or beverage without a permit will be subject to termination of sample distribution and fined.
Food Event Application Forms:
- To be completed by the event organizer or person delegated in charge of food
- Fee: $87.00 - $261.00, depending on size of event (number of participating vendors)
- Must be submitted to Minneapolis Development Review at least 10 business days before the event
- See Frequently Asked Questions by Sponsors
- To be completed by person or organization invited to provide food or beverage
- Fee: $87.00 per vendor, maximum two (2) stands allowed (with same menu items) per permit
- Permit Application and fees must be provided to the Event Food Sponsor more than 10 business days prior to the start of the Event
- DO NOT SEND APPLICATIONS OR FEES DIRECTLY TO THE CITY
- See Frequently Asked Questions by Vendors
- Person or business planning to vend at three (3) or more civic events or community celebrations in Minneapolis April 1st – March 31st may elect to apply for this permit
- Fee: $232.00 per vendor, maximum of two (2) stands allowed (with same menu items) at each event
- Submit Permit Application and fees directly to Minneapolis Development Review
- Application is needed only once yearly, making it simpler to take part in events.
NOTE: Event Food Sponsors may request contact information for potential vendors with Seasonal Permits
- See Frequently Asked Questions about Seasonal Food Permits
Body Art Events
See the Body Art Establishment page here. The link to the Body Art Establishment page is also in the left sidebar.
Last updated Jun 2, 2015