Health Department

Food, Lodging & Pools
Public Service Center
250 S. 4th St., Room 510
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Farmers Markets

As part of Minneapolis’ goal to simplify business requirements, the categories of farmers market vendors listed in the chart below will be converted to Seasonal Food Permits. This allows vendors to sell at farmers markets, civic events and community celebrations without being required to obtain multiple licenses.

As with all events, vendors must be invited to participate in events and must be listed on the Event Food Sponsor Permit or Farmers Market Vendor List.

Recent changes to farmers and municipal markets ordinance

The changes in Chapter 201 (Public Markets) and Chapter 202 (Municipal Market) , as well as 188.170 (Short Term Food Permits and Seasonal Food Permits) and 186.50 (Definitions) are to:

Do I need a City permit or State license?

Vendors who sell only in Minneapolis:

Seasonal Food Permit

Seasonal Food Permit, English, Español - A Seasonal Food Permit allows a vendor to sell or give away food and/or drink at multiple licensed civic events, community celebrations and farmers markets throughout the year.

A maximum of two stands are allowed to operate under each permit per event.

Seasonal food vendor list

The Seasonal Food Vendor list is intended to assist market managers looking for vendors for a market. The City of Minneapolis does not endorse any company.

If you have questions about this list, contact the Health Department at 612-673-2301 or [email protected].  Ask to speak with a health inspector on the food permit team.

Farmers market categories converted to Seasonal Food Permits

In 2016, these farmers market categories were discontinued and converted to Seasonal Food Permits:

Vendors who applied for one of the discontinued licenses or renewed their license under one of these categories will automatically be converted to a Seasonal Food Permit.

For more information visit

Frequently Asked Questions by food and beverage vendors (When FAQ opens, scroll down to the vendors section.)

Exempt from licensing



SeasonalMinneapolis - Seasonal Food Permit
Food Market DistributorMinneapolis - Seasonal Food Permit
Food Market ManufacturerMinneapolis - Seasonal Food Permit
Farm ProcessorMinneapolis - Seasonal Food Permit
Wild HarvesterMinneapolis - Seasonal Food Permit
Registered Cottage Food VendorRegister with MN Dept of Agriculture and Market Manager
Registered Poultry ProcessorRegister with MN Dept of Agriculture and Market Manager
Product of the Farm (grower/farmer)Register with Market Manager
Meat ProcessorRegister with Market Manager
Agricultural ProducerRegister with Market Manager
Food Sampling/DemoRegister with Market Manager

Public Market license

Opening or operating a farmers' market in Minneapolis requires an approval and licensing. There are different types of Farmers Market licenses/permits depending on the type of market the applicant wants to operate.

Public Market is a defined place regulated by the city for the selling and buying of farm products and other market related products. The three (3) categories of recognized and licensed public markets include:

  1. Farmers markets
  2. Mini markets
  3. Produce and craft markets

A Municipal Market is a city-owned and regulated market for the selling and buying of farm products and other market related products.

Cottage Food Bill

Cottage Food vendors are required to register with the Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA).

For more information, please visit the MDA website:


Minneapolis Health Department LogoShould you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.

Last updated Aug 17, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo