Health Department

Food, Lodging & Pools
Public Service Center
250 S. 4th St., Room 510
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Body Art Establishments

Body art establishments are businesses that provide Body Art procedures such as tattooing, cosmetic tattooing, microblading and piercing. Procedures that are not governed by the Minneapolis Body Art Code are piercings of the outer perimeter or lobe of the ear. 


Body Art establishments are required to be licensed in the City of Minneapolis.

Body Art establishments must obtain a Body Art Establishment license through Business Licensing.

Individual technicians are required to be licensed through the State of Minnesota.

The City of Minneapolis does not license individual technicians. When practicing in the City of Minneapolis, each individual is required to show proof of state licensure and to follow all Minneapolis regulations.

Body Art establishments are inspected yearly under the Minneapolis City Ordinance, Chapter 339: Body Art Code. The business licensee is responsible for ensuring compliance with State and City regulations within their facility.

Any concerns about a body art establishment can be reported online to the Minneapolis Health Department.

Plan Review

Plans are required for any new or remodeled body art establishment. 

Submit a Body Art Establishment Plan Review application, a copy of the plan, and the $100 plan review fee to Minneapolis Development Review. 

Before opening, a Minneapolis health inspector must conduct a pre-opening inspection. 

Questions? Call 311 (612-673-3000) and ask to speak with an Environmental Health Supervisor. 

Body Art Events

There are two types of temporary Body Art events:

All participating body artists must be licensed or permitted by the State of Minnesota prior to the event and must show proof of license or permit to the Minneapolis Food, Lodging & Pools program.

Tattooing - Body Art Temporary Event license application

Submit the application with all required documents (listed on the application) and fee to Minneapolis Development Review. 

Questions? Call 311 (612-673-3000). Ask to speak with an Environmental Health Supervisor.

Every event must have an event sponsor who is responsible for:


Minneapolis Health Department LogoShould you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.

Last updated Aug 17, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo