Minneapolis Health Department

Public Service Center
250 S. 4th. Street, Room 510
Minneapolis, MN 55415
(612) 673-2301

Construction or Remodeling

EPA's Renovation, Remodeling and Painting Regulation

What's required?
Federal law requires that contractors give individuals the Renovate Right pamphlet before beginning renovation or remodeling work in homes, schools and childcare facilities built before 1978. This requirement applies when six square feet or more of painted surfaces in a room for interior projects or more than twenty square feet of painted surfaces for exterior projects in housing, child care facilities and schools built before 1978 is disturbed.

Contractor Certification
Beginning April 2010, the federal law will require contractors that disturb lead-based paint in homes, child care facilities and schools, built before 1978, to be certified and follow specific work practices to prevent lead contamination. Therefore, if you plan to hire a contractor to do work in your home, ask them for their certification and what practices they will follow to prevent lead dust in your home.

For more information the RRP Regulation
Visit the US Environmental Protection Agency's website

Are you a contractor that needs to be certified in RRP?

Find a certified trainer at the EPA's website

For additional information:

Residential Contractors & Lead Certification - Effective August 1, 2011

Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP)

Renovate Right: Important Lead Hazard Information for Families, Child Care Providers and Schools

Remodelar Correctamente: Información importante sobre los riesgos causados por el plomo para familias, proveedores de cuidado infantil y escuelas

Pre-Renovation Disclosure Form

Last updated Oct 24, 2013