Department of Health
Health, equity, and well-being for all people in their communities
To promote health equity in Minneapolis and meet the unique needs of our urban population by providing leadership and fostering partnerships.
The Way We Work
- We build on our urban community’s cultural diversity, wisdom, strengths, and resilience.
- We support individual health within the context of families and communities across the lifespan.
- To achieve health equity, we invest in the social and physical environments of our residents.
- We bring people and resources together to achieve our common health goals.
- Sound research and promising strategies inform our activities and decisions.
- We promote health as the interconnection of physical, mental, social, and spiritual well-being.
Strong Urban Public Health Infrastructure
- City and community prepared for emergencies – now and in the future
- Health care safety net for everyone who needs it
- Staff …. Diverse, engaged, skilled
Healthy Weight Through Active Living and Healthy Eating
- Affordable and accessible healthy choices for all ages and abilities
- Opportunities to grow, prepare and distribute food locally
- Communities expect healthier environments
Healthy Sexuality and Relationships
- Prevent teen pregnancy
- Sexually Transmitted Infections/HIV rates declining
Thriving and Violence Free Youth
- Communities engaged in parenting & mentoring youth
- Invest in activities that promote skills, strengths & contributions of youth and re-engage disengaged youth
- Expand capacity to address youth violence
A Healthy Start to Life and Learning
- Healthy homes – lead and smoke-free
- Thriving babies
- School-ready children
Minneapolis Department of Health
250 South 4th Street, Room 510
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Last updated May. 1, 2013