Billing: Fees & Charges
Please understand that City Ordinance requires you to have City of Minneapolis Garbage & Recycling services. To avoid additional cost, please follow all procedures for disposal of your garbage, and household waste.
Minneapolis Utility Billing provides billing services for properties in Minneapolis for their water, sewer, storm water and solid waste & recycling services. Each charge is listed on your monthly bill. PLEASE review your invoice to make sure you are being billed correctly.
|Solid Waste & Recycling: Fees - Charges - Credits|
Solid Waste Base Fee Until 12-31-2012
$24.00 per month per dwelling unit for collection of garbage, large items, yard trimmings and recyclables, vouchers and other services.
Solid Waste Base Fee Effective 01-01-2013
$17.00 per month per dwelling unit for collection of garbage, recycling, large items, yard trimmings and recyclables, vouchers and other services.
Large Cart Disposal (garbage)
$5.00 per month per large cart.
Small Cart Disposal (garbage)
$2.00 per month per small cart.
*Starting January 1, 2013. Recycling credit will no longer be a separate line item on your bill. The base fee & recycling credit were combined. Reducing your base fee by $7.00 per month.
New – One Sort Recycling Cart
No additional charge for this cart.
Old – green/blue recycling bin
No additional charge for this bin. Once you have your new one-sort recycling cart, you can keep the old one or leave out for our crew to pickup.
Minnesota Solid Waste Management Tax
The State requires Minneapolis to collect a tax on mixed municipal solid waste management services. The solid waste base fee has a taxable and a non-taxable component. The taxable component is for mixed municipal solid waste management services. The non-taxable component of the solid waste base fee is the portion that pays for recycling, yard trimmings and other materials separated from the waste stream. The entire cart disposal fee is taxable.
Example of how your tax is calculated (1 residential dwelling unit with a single large garbage cart per month):
Hennepin County Fee
Minneapolis is required to collect a fee for Hennepin County for research, program development, and other environmental services. For further information, call Hennepin County at (612) 348-3000.
Other Fees & Charges
Carts left at the curb.
If you do not remove your cart(s) for the curb, this office will charge $12.00 per cart, on your utility bill.
Dirty Clean ups
If you do not keep your garbage & recycling collection area clean, we will clean it up and charge your utility bill. 1st Clean up within 1 year is $181/hour or $75 minimum which ever is greater, the 2nd cleanup within one year has a $100 minimum charge, the 3rd cleanup within one year has a $150 minimum, and the 4th and each additional cleanup within one year has a $200 minimum.
If you do not post the house numbers on the property, this office will post them and you will be charge $18.00 on your utility bill.
If you do not shovel out your cart(s), this office will and you will be charge $30.00 per cart and charged your utility bill.
An additional $15 fee for administrative processing is added to your utility bill when you choose to combine vouchers. This charge can NOT be paid and the South Transfer Station, it must be placed on the Utility Bill.
Voucher Over Weight
If you exceed the allowed weight/count at the South Transfer Station, and choose to have your account billed, this office will charge $10.00 additional processing fee, and it will be added to your utility bill.
Services included in Base Fee
- Collection of all garbage contained in the cart(s) once a week.
- Collection of two large burnable items each week, and up to two (2) boxed, bundled or bagged materials outside the cart. Max: 2 items
- Collection and processing of all recyclables every other week (cans, glass, corrugated cardboard, dry food boxboard, household batteries, magazines and catalogs, newspaper, office mail and paper, phone books, plastic bottles).
- Collection of up to two (2) metal items/appliances every other week, removal and disposal of hazardous constituents and sale of remainder to scrap dealers; special handling and recycling of CRT's, TV's and computers.
- Collection and composting of all yard wastes, every week from early April through mid- November (start and end dates may vary depending on weather conditions).
- Provision and maintenance of garbage cart(s).
- Provision and maintenance of recycling carts(s).
- Access to Transfer Station with 6 vouchers per year for disposal of excess garbage, move out or, cleanout junk, construction and demolition debris. (2,000 lbs. per voucher. 12,000 lbs. total.)
- Access to Transfer Station with two (2) vouchers per year for tire disposal (8 tires per voucher, 16 tires per year)
- Education program, with direct mail pieces, maintenance of website, neighborhood and community meeting appearances, Cable program appearances, etc., presentations to schools and civic organizations.
- Customer service staff, fielding 1500-2000 calls per week for information, and complaints.
- Coordination of special events such as Hennepin County Household HazWaste collections, University Move out Enforcement (Marcy Holmes, Como, Prospect Park), Accelerated Clean-up Enforcement.
- Field services to customers by foremen, including rules and ordinance enforcement, door knocking for explanation of special programs, special services, assistance, etc...
- "Clean City" activities, including:
- Graffiti Response Coordination
- Dirty Collection Point Cleanups
- Illegal dumping cleanups
- Neighborhood CleanSweeps
- Litter Container collection, maintenance, placement, and removal.
- Litter pickup
- Coordination of Adopt-a-Block, Adopt-a-Litter Container, "Clean and Green" and other community involvement programs.
How do I dispute a charge?
Please call our office first so we can answer any questions that you have relating to charges on your bill. Of course you still will have the right to file a dispute if you do not agree with our reason(s). We can email, fax or send you our dispute form or you may placed it in writing and mailed to our office, fax or email.
Your written letter must include: you’re complete name, service address, account number, telephone number, the reason for your dispute, and the dollar amount. Note: if your dispute is for rental property, please be sure to include in your letter both addresses - rental & your own.
Solid Waste & Recycling
Attn: Dispute Division
309 2nd Avenue South, Room 210
Minneapolis, MN 55401-2281
Last updated Mar. 11, 2013