Minneapolis Police Academy
We train and prepare newly hired officers in:
- Defensive Tactics
- Community Orientated Policing
- Defensive Driving
- Report Writing
- Traffic Enforcement
- Crime Scene Investigation
- Physical Training
Recruit officers must pass written and practical testing.
Recruit officers who successfully finish the academy enter the Field Training Program.
How long is the Police Academy?
Minneapolis Police Academy is 14-16 weeks.
Is the Academy high-stress environment?
- It is structured as a paramilitary program.
- Academy hours are usually Monday through Friday.
How much physical conditioning is required in the Academy?
There are entry-level fitness standards and standards that must be met to pass the course.
See Fitness Standards.
Will I be paid while attending the Academy?
- Police Recruits are paid while attending the Academy and are considered City of Minneapolis employees.
What happens when I graduate from the Academy?
- At graduation Recruits are promoted to Officer rank.
- New graduates take part additional 6 month Field Training Program.
- After completion of training new officers are assigned to one of five areas of patrol.
Last updated Mar 28, 2019