Recruit Police Officer
This is a full time position for a patrol officer. The police profession is a challenging and rewarding one. Police professionalism is based on community service and dedication to fair and honest enforcement of the laws. This specialized work, with and for the people of Minneapolis, comprises an extraordinary range of opportunities and responsibilities.
- to obtain and maintain a valid Minnesota driver's license
- completion of all requirements of the Minnesota POST Board.
- must present copy of Minnesota POST License or proof of passing POST exam. For complete POST Board information you may call (651) 643-3060 or visit Minnesota POST Board.
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Background Check: Must have no felony convictions. A thorough background investigation will be conducted. Applicants must meet standards regarding acceptable employment history, honesty, driving and conviction records.
- Eyesight: Vision no poorer than 20/100 in either eye without correction; but correctable to 20/40 in both eyes. Must be able to distinguish the colors red, yellow and green.
- Hearing: Standard hearing average threshold, without correction, or no worse than a 40-decible loss on the average at 500, 1000, 2000 and 3000 Hertz frequencies in the better ear.
- Medical/Psychological Examinations: After conditional offer of employment, all candidates will be required to pass a medical/psychological examination prior to hire. This will include a drug screen.
- Testing Process:The examination will consist of a physical fitness exam and oral exam. See details of the fitness exam below. Candidates must pass each event to continue on in the testing process.
- Candidates for a sworn position, whom are Minnesota residents, will be required to apply for and obtain a "Minnesota State Permit to Acquire Handguns from Federal Firearms Dealers" from the jurisdiction where they reside. Candidates will be required to provide proof to their background investigator.
Meet physical fitness standards as established by the Minneapolis Police Department. These fitness standards will be measured by a physical fitness test administered by the Minneapolis Police Department as part of the selection process.
Employees will be expected to maintain their physical fitness levels according to standards set by the Minneapolis Police Department as a term and condition of continued employment. Learn more about the physical fitness standards and tips on preparing for the fitness exam.
Pass thorough background investigation that includes meeting department standards regarding acceptable employment history, honesty, driving and conviction records.
$53,437 to $58,913 beginning Annual Salary - Plus Full Benefit Package
All new Police Officers will be hired at the beginning salary, depending on previous law enforcement experience.
- Interacts with citizens to identify and solve problems in their neighborhoods
- Assists the public; keeps law and order; directs traffic
- Relate and work effectively with people from diverse cultural, economic and ethnic backgrounds.
- Makes necessary arrests; keeps records and writes reports of all important incidents
- Patrols a beat on foot or in a patrol car
- Directs involvement with community members to organize crime prevention activities in neighborhoods
- Responds to citizen calls for assistance during crisis situations
- Communicates directly with neighborhood residents to identify and solve problems
- Answers questions from the public
- Assists people who are involved in accidents
- Checks property, suspicious persons and all others suspicious or dangerous conditions within the City of Minneapolis Investigates complaints and conducts preliminary investigations at the scene of crime, accident or other police matters
- Enforces traffic laws and responds to traffic accidents
- Testifies in court by presenting evidence and facts
- Drives a patrol car or other motor vehicle and works various shifts and weekends
The City of Minneapolis reserves the right to limit the number of candidates in the exam process based on a review of application and supplemental application. It is to your advantage to be as complete and thorough on your application form as possible. Other supporting documentation and materials can also be submitted to support your application.
The examination will consist of a Physical Fitness Exam (35%) and Oral Exam (65%). Applicants must pass the physical exam with a minimum score of 70 to be invited to the oral exam.
Candidates will be ranked on the eligible list based on their performance on the written and physical fitness test.
NOTE: The Minneapolis Police Department reserves the right to have candidates retake the physical fitness test at time of hire.
Applications are not being accepted at this time
Last updated Dec. 11, 2013