A Police Cadet attends and successfully completes a program in law enforcement with a department authorized institution for the purpose of meeting the academic and technical skills requirements of the Minnesota Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) Board.
Cadets hired will be promoted to Police Officer upon successful completion of the P.O.S.T. Board academic and skills requirements when a recruit academy class is scheduled. Current salary range for Police Officer begins at $54,504 per year, with the final step at $69,565 per year.
Cadets hired must commit to two years of employment with the Minneapolis Police Department following their promotion to Minneapolis Police Officer or pay back, on a pro-rated basis, the costs of the tuition paid by the department for the academic training and/or the skills course.
Failure to successfully complete the Minnesota P.O.S.T. Board licensing exam at end of the training program may result in termination.
INFORMATION SESSION (optional):
The Minneapolis Police Department has prepared a detailed information session which you are highly encouraged to attend. Attendance is optional for all applicants or potential applicants. Registration is NOT required. Each session will last up to 1.5 hours. We will highlight and discuss the following:
Application process and educational requirements
- Fitness Exam details
- Background Investigation information
- Oral Exam expectations
- Medical, psychological, and drug & alcohol testing
- Cadet Academy and Education Program
- Tuesday, July 28 from 6pm
- Tuesday, August 18 from 6pm
Location: Special Operation Center (SOC) 4119 DuPont Ave No, MN 55412.
Parking: Street parking is available or parking in the Church parking lot.
Must be at least 18 years of age.
An Associate or Bachelor Degree earned or awarded in any field from a regionally accredited college or university is required.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver's license that is accepted by the State of Minnesota.
- Applicants must NOT have taken and passed the MN Board of P.O.S.T. licensing exam or other state equivalent.
- Applicant cannot be, or ever have been, licensed as a police officer in any state.
- Must not have a felony conviction
- Relate and work effectively with people from diverse cultural, economic and ethnic backgrounds.
- Must have physical ability to run and chase suspects, wrestle and subdue suspects, jump and crawl over and under objects and lift and drag heavy objects.
Must participate in and complete the fitness assessment. Employees will be expected to reach and maintain fitness levels according to standards set by the MPD as a term and condition of continued employment.
Vision no poorer than 20/100 without correction in the poorer eye; correctable to 20/40 in both eyes. Ability to distinguish the colors red, yellow and green.
Possess standard hearing average threshold without correction or no worse than a 40-decible loss on the average at 500, 1,000 and 3,000 Hertz frequencies in the better ear.
Must be deemed medically and psychologically fit and successfully pass a drug and alcohol screening prior to hire.
Any one or any combination of an evaluation of related education/experience/screening question responses, fitness exam, oral exam, etc. may be utilized. It is to an applicant’s advantage to be as thorough in the online application as possible.
Applications and resumes are screened for completeness and requirements. The City of Minneapolis reserves the right to select and limit the number of candidates at any point in the exam process, based on a review of application materials. Qualified candidates, as determined by Human Resources, will be invited to fitness exam.
- Qualified candidates will be notified by email to self-schedule the fitness exam. Candidates must attend and pass all components of the fitness exam.The fitness standards are:
- Vertical Jump (13 inches)
- 300 Meter Run (82 Seconds)
- Bench Press (102 lbs. Or 60% of your body weight) OR Push Ups (20)
- Sit Ups (25)
- 1.5 Mile Run (15 Minutes 44 Seconds)
- Selected candidates will be contacted to schedule a background investigation, conducted by MPD, which may take up to three (3) months to complete.
- Qualified candidates will be notified by email to self-schedule for the oral exam.
- The eligible list is established by Human Resources after all testing components are completed.
- Conditional offers are contingent upon successfully passing pre-employment exams.
- Final offers are made inviting candidates to the Cadet Academy.
Candidates unable to complete any portion of this process will not be eligible to move on in the hiring process.
For more information on P.O.S.T. requirements: https://dps.mn.gov/entity/post/becoming-a-peace-officer/Pages/default.aspx
ELIGIBLE LIST WILL EXPIRE SIX MONTHS FROM THE DATE OF CERTIFICATION.
Questions? Contact Sgt. David Burbank 612-673-5583
Last updated Mar 10, 2016