MPD Accident Reports
Minnesota Law Enforcement State Accident Reports are considered confidential and may only be released to, or viewed by involved individuals, identified on the police report, with proper identification or by their designated representative.
All reports are processed in accordance with Minnesota Data Privacy and Practices Law and Department Policy.
If you are identified as an involved individual on the police report
- Call the Records Information Unit at 612-673-2961, to ensure an accident report has been created and is available for release.
- There is no charge for accident reports. See Fee Schedule for complete data fee information.
- Accident Reports are available up to six years after the accident date.
- If requesting U.S. Mail delivery please send the following:
Complete this Accident Report Request Form (pdf).
Requests will be processed within 5-10 business days after receiving.
Mail the completed form, a self-addressed stamped envelope and payment to:
Minneapolis Police Department
Records Information Unit, Room 31
350 South 5 th Street
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55415
- See the Policy Manual that Minneapolis Police Officers use to process accident information.
- The Minneapolis Police Department does not maintain Accident Reports created by the State Patrol, University of MN Police Department, Metro Transit, Hennepin County Sheriff’s Department or any surrounding suburbs.
Minnesota motor vehicle crash report
Every driver in a crash involving $1,000 or more in property damage, injury or death, must download, complete and mail in the Minnesota Motor Vehicle Crash Report (pdf) to:
DVS / ACCIDENT RECORDS
445 Minnesota Street, Suite 181
St. Paul, MN 55101-5181
Failure to provide this information is a misdemeanor under Minnesota Statute 169.09, subdivision 7.
For additional information
Please contact the Records Information Unit at 612-673-2961.
Last updated Apr 22, 2019