Violent Crimes Investigations Division
- We work with members of the community to reduce violent crime in Minneapolis.
- We work to bring to justice those who commit violent crimes.
- We work cases involving violent attacks that do not result in a victim’s death.
- Our goal is to reduce gun violence in Minneapolis.
Violent Crimes Investigations Team (VCIT):
- We work to find patterns in shooting cases.
- We also work to find and prevent retaliatory shootings.
Gang Interdiction Team (GIT)
- We focus on violence associated with groups (gangs) in Minneapolis.
- We develop relationships within the community to prevent retaliatory shootings in the city.
- We investigate any death within the city limits.
- Our goal is to reduce homicides by increasing the number of arrests and prosecutions.
- We also work with the FBI on "cold cases."
- We respond to and investigate any robberies of businesses or persons.
- We work to find and target robbery patterns.
Safe Streets Task Force
- We work with federal and state law enforcement partners to investigate violent offenders.
- Our goal is to identify the most dangerous criminals actively involved in violent behavior and hold them accountable in a court of law.
Violent Criminal Apprehension Team (VCAT)
- We look for violent suspects trying to escape arrest.
- We work to quickly track and safely arrest those responsible for a violent crimes including murder, assault, robbery and criminal sexual conduct.
- We focus on the trafficking of illegal firearms, illegal possession of firearms and gun crimes committed by violent criminals and gang members.
- Our goal is to reduce gun violence in the city.
- We coordinate many investigations with federal law enforcement partners.
- Our work can result in the seizure of illegally possessed weapons and illegal narcotics.
Last updated Mar 25, 2019