Reclaiming Property or Evidence
Recovered property and evidence held by the police are stored either at the Property and Evidence Unit's downtown Minneapolis office or the Property and Evidence warehouse in South Minneapolis.
The main office is located at:
Property and Evidence Unit
Minneapolis City Hall
350 South 5th Street, Room 33
Minneapolis, MN 55415-1389
Items such as cash, drugs, jewelry and guns are maintained in sophisticated vaults within City Hall. Clothing and small valueless items, such as photos and credit cards, are also maintained within the City Hall.
The warehouse is located at:
Property and Evidence Warehouse
6024 Harriet Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55419-2251
Property such as tools, tires, radios, snowmobiles, bicycles and lawnmowers are retained at the Property and Evidence warehouse facility.
Main office public service hours are 12:00 p.m. (Noon) – 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Phone calls to inquire about property stored at either the main office or warehouse may be made between the hours of Noon and 10:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday at (612) 673-2932.
Warehouse public service hours are Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m to 2:45p.m. Calls to inquire about property stored at the warehouse, directions to the warehouse, etc., may also be made to the warehouse during warehouse public service hours at (612) 673-5665.
- All items stored at City Hall or the warehouse, including jewelry and cash, must be claimed in person during public service hours.
- Some items, such as checks, may be able to be mailed after a verification process.
- A representative may also be designated to pick up your property but must present a notarized letter verifying representation.
- In order for evidence to be returned to you, the investigator or officer responsible for your case must authorize its release. Call the Property and Evidence to find out if a release has been received before coming to pick up your property.
- You will need your case number and a valid ID card or driver's license for items to be released to you . If you do not have your case number, call the Property and Evidence Unit and its personnel will assist you in obtaining it.
- Because we have two separate storage sites, it is also advisable to call ahead so that we can arrange to have all of your belongings in one location to aid you in retrieving all of your property.
- For further details concerning the options available in reclaiming your property, call the Property and Evidence Unit or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In order for a firearm to be released to you from the custody of the Minneapolis Police Department, the Captain in charge of the Special Investigations Division (SID) must be contacted at (612) 673-3939 for clearance needed to begin a background investigation.
- Once the captain has cleared you for a background investigation, come in person to Room 33 of Minneapolis City Hall, 350 South 5th Street, Minneapolis, MN, between 12:00 p.m. (Noon) and 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, to obtain background investigation forms and additional instructions on obtaining your firearm.
- You will need to present a valid Minnesota driver's license or valid Minnesota state identification card. No other identification will be accepted, including Social Security cards, school ID's, HC ADC's photos, etc.
- If you are from out of state, you must go through your local law enforcement agency to have the firearm shipped to you. We will ship only to another law enforcement agency.
- For further details concerning the options available in reclaiming a firearm, call the Property and Evidence Unit or e-mail us at email@example.com.
Last updated Mar 14, 2017