COMING SOON: 2017 Parklet Application Manual and Confirmation of Eligibility
A parklet is a seasonal expansion of the existing sidewalk designed for the public to relax and enjoy the city.
Parklets are an innovative and cost effective way to add public gathering space to public streets. Parklets are streetscape enhancements, providing an economical solution for increased public open space. Parklets provide amenities like seating, plantings, bike parking and public art. While parklets are typically funded and maintained by neighboring businesses, residents and community organizations, they are publicly accessible and open to all. Parklets are located in the parking lane adjacent to the curb designed as an extension of the sidewalk. Advertising and other commercial activities are not permitted in the parklet.
Photo by Paul Mogush. Minneapolis pilot parklet at Juxtaposition Arts
2016 Parklet Locations
Visit all five locations and use #mplsparklets to tell us about your Minneapolis Public Parklet experience.
- 1603 Chicago Ave S, hosted by Twin Cities Coffee & Deli
- 3733 Chicago Ave S, hosted by Smoke in the Pit BBQ and CANDO
- 4208 28th Ave S, hosted by Angry Catfish Bicycle + Coffee Bar
- 115 N 2nd St, sponsored by Hyde Development, hosted in partnership with VELO
- 913 W Lake St, sponsored by CARAG, hosted in partnership with Morrissey's Irish Pub
The City of Minneapolis Parklet Application Manual is intended to guide applicants through the process and procedures for applying to install a parklet. It provides a comprehensive overview of the program, policies, procedures, criteria and guidelines for creating parklets in the City right-of-way.
Business owners, property owners, and other potential applicants are encouraged to read the manual prior to the application process.
Applicants must first submit online the Proposed Parklet Site: Confirmation of Eligibility Checklist (below), prior to application submittal. Once your Confirmation of Eligibility has been received, City Staff will contact you within a few days.
As part of the prelminary screening process the City will review proposed sites for:
- Potential conflict with upcoming street projects
- Traffic patterns
- Street regulations
- Roadway geometry
- Operational considerations
Following approval of the site based on the Confirmation of Eligibility, barring any street conflict, applicants will be invited to proceed to the full application stage.
Please read the 2016 Parklet Application Manual to familiarize yourself with program requirements and guidance prior to submitting your Confirmation of Eligibility.
Confirmation of Eligibility
LADOT People Street
Parklet Seasons Past
2015 Parklet Locations
- W 29th Street at Lyndale Ave S, hosted by Lime
- 3255 Bryant Ave S, hosted by Canteen & CARAG
- 2007 Emerson Ave N, hosted by Juxtaposition Arts
- 2422 Central Ave NE, hosted by Sen Yai Sen Lek
- 3016 Bloomington Ave S, hosted by Mercado Central
2014 Parklet Pilot Locations
General Questions: email@example.com
Parklet Program Staff
Kelsey Fogt, Public Works, Associate Transportation Planner. Kelsey.firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated Jan 18, 2017