Minneapolis National Night Out
Mission, Messages and Goals
National Night Out (NNO) in Minneapolis is an annual event on the first Tuesday of August that involves all segments of the community in building a healthier, safer community. NNO generates support for anti-crime programs and strengthens police/community relations.
National Night Out is not just one night of the year, but the culmination of year-long crime prevention activity in all Minneapolis neighborhoods: people working together in block and apartment clubs and other networks to prevent and address crime and other neighborhood problems. It is an occasion to celebrate past successes, discuss current challenges or issues, and re-dedicate to collaborative efforts with neighbors, police, businesses and others to improve the quality of life in our city. NNO is the largest event of its kind in Minneapolis and the nation.
- Cohesive, healthy neighborhoods are keys to preventing crime and violence.
- Active block clubs build community, increase hope and create harmony.
- Positive activities displace negative activity; as people spend more time outside, they take back their streets and neighborhoods.
- NNO is an opportunity for all parts of the community including businesses, corporate sponsors, religious institutions, city agencies, and news media to come together around the shared goal of a safe, healthy community.
- NNO reinforces the partnership of citizens and police to combat crime.
- Utilize NNO to expand and strengthen Minneapolis’ network of block clubs.
- Increase the number of block clubs, multi-block events and individuals who participate in NNO.
- Involve the Minneapolis Police Department with citizens by participating in National Night Out events together.
- Promote increased involvement of youth with their neighbors.
- Promote crime prevention strategies and increase ways that citizens can protect themselves, and their property.
Last updated Sep 27, 2011