Help spread the word on Facebook – We’re having a Snow Emergency
With a Snow Emergency in effect until Friday, Dec. 11, it’s a good time to let your friends know that they should be careful about where they park in Minneapolis. One easy way to do that is to use your Facebook profile to make sure your friends get the heads up that they need to follow the Snow Emergency parking rules.
This season, we’re asking folks on Facebook to change their profile picture to a special Snow Emergency image whenever one is declared. That way, every one of their Facebook friends will know a Snow Emergency is in effect in Minneapolis so they can avoid getting towed.
STEP 1: Come up with a Snow Emergency profile picture
Everyones Facebook profile is unique. To reflect that, come up with an image that reflects the kind of Snow Emergency person you are. All it needs to have is the Snow Emergency logo and your own creative skills. For some ideas, a Snow Emergency logo, and Snow Emergency profile pictures you can use right away, go to our website.
STEP 2: When a Snow Emergency is in effect, make that image your profile picture.
You can also send out a status update to remind your friends a Snow Emergency is in effect.
STEP 3: Share your unique profile pictures with us.
E-mail them to [email protected]. We’ll share the best ones on our Snow Emergency Facebook page.
Snow Emergency on Facebook and Twitter
Social media is proving to be a popular way for people to find out if a Snow Emergency is in effect. The City of Minneapolis has Snow Emergency profiles on Facebook and Twitter that are updated whenever a Snow Emergency is declared.
More than 8,800 people are fans of Snow Emergency on Facebook, getting updates whenever a Snow Emergency is declared.
Since this profile went up on last Wednesday, it has gained more than 1,000 followers.
Other ways to find out about Snow Emergencies:
- Hotline: Call (612) 348-SNOW any time of day to find out if a Snow Emergency is in effect.
- E-mail alerts: More than 30,000 people have signed up to get Snow Emergency e-mail alerts.
- Phone calls: Automated phone calls are made to residences throughout Minneapolis.
- The Web: The City's website tells you whether a Snow Emergency is in effect. There’s even an interactive street lookup that lets drivers put in an address or a neighborhood to see what streets are good to park on during a Snow Emergency.
- The media: News releases are sent to the media so TV and radio stations can inform their viewers and listeners that a Snow Emergency is in effect.
On Cable - Tune in to cable channels 14 and 79. These channels will have information in several languages when a Snow Emergency is declared.
For more information on Snow Emergency, including the rules about where you can park, visit the City's website.
Published Dec 10, 2009