Learn more about new improved bike access on Hennepin and 1st avenues
City staff, including the Bike Walk Ambassadors, will hold three short informational sessions with bicyclists to help them learn about the bicycling improvements on Hennepin and 1st avenues, and how to use them.
Meet at the Hennepin Avenue entrance to the Central Library, 300 Nicollet Mall at:
- 5:30 p.m., Monday, Oct. 19
- Noon, Wednesday, Oct. 21
- 8 a.m., Thursday, Oct. 22
Bring your bikes so City staff can lead you on a ride up and down Hennepin and 1st and demonstrate how to use the new bicycling features of these two streets. Both streets have recently changed from one-way to two-way streets. With this conversion came three big changes to improve bicycling:
- Bicycle lanes were added along 1st Avenue North between the curb and parallel parking spots.
- Bike boxes will soon be placed at some intersections along the two streets, making it easier for bicyclists to make left turns.
- Hennepin Avenue now has a lane shared by bicycles, buses, and right-turning vehicles in each direction
The conversion is a key step in revitalizing Hennepin and 1st avenues and making them even more vibrant "main streets" for Minneapolis that showcase what’s best about our city. It will make businesses and other Downtown destinations more accessible, and also promote bicycle and pedestrian use of Downtown.
Oct. 16, 2009
Published Oct. 16, 2009