Follow the law and be a good neighbor when having a backyard fire

To keep Minneapolis safe and comfortable, remember these laws when having a small backyard fire:

Any illegal burning can result in a $200 fine.

For more information on recreational fires or to register a complaint about a recreational fire, call 311 or email [email protected], or to register a complaint about a recreational fire outside 311 hours, call 911. The Fire and Police departments are authorized to extinguish a fire immediately if it is hazardous.

To learn more about recreational fires, go to and click on “recreational fires Q&A.” You can also check out Minneapolis sustainability indicator on air quality at

Published Apr 15, 2014



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo