Take steps toward better health with Step To It Challenge
Take the first step toward better health by registering for the Hennepin County Step To It Challenge today. Participate in this four-week physical activity campaign designed to help us all get walking more each day after a long winter.
Walking more for the challenge gives you all of the benefits of regular exercise, including more energy, less stress and lower risks of heart disease, diabetes and cancer. Plus you’ll be eligible to win Twins tickets and other prizes. City employees earn a free pedometer just for registering for the challenge.
Every step counts
The Step To It Challenge is a friendly competition to see which participating Hennepin County worksite or community is the most active. You can help City of Minneapolis employees earn some bragging rights.
Worksites in Hennepin County compete against each other for the title of most active and engaged worksite. All of your steps will count toward the City of Minneapolis’ worksite step totals. Hennepin County will award prizes to the worksite with the highest average steps logged per participant and the worksite with the highest percentage of employee participation.
You can also pick any participating community in Hennepin County to walk for (even if you don’t live in it). All of your steps will count toward that community’s totals in the competition for the most active community award. In addition, each community will award its top stepper (the individual with the highest total number of steps) with a pair of Minnesota Twins tickets. This individual will be recognized on the field at the Twins game. Individuals from each community who log their steps daily will have another chance to win Minnesota Twins tickets through a random drawing.
Throughout the challenge, Hennepin County Health@Work staff will keep you informed of how many steps participating organizations are logging so you’ll know how the competition is stacking up. At the end of the challenge, Hennepin County Health@Work will tally results and award prizes.
Sign up today
· Register for the Step To It Challenge before May 4, then join the City of Minneapolis worksite. Once you’re signed up, click “Join Groups” in the menu on the left of your account page. Find “City of Minneapolis Employees” and click “Join.” You will become an active member of the City worksite once Human Resources accepts your request.
· Choose a community from the drop-down menu as the “Community to Walk For.” You can also choose “Non Participating Community.”
· Email Jesse Jones in Human Resources to receive your free pedometer to track your steps.
· Record your steps from your pedometer daily or weekly on your Step To It Challenge account from May 4 through May 31. Please use the online account if possible to record your steps. If you do not have access to a computer, you may call Hennepin County at 612-348-5618 to record your step totals.
· Accumulate steps for other physical activities you do. This step conversion chart makes it easy to convert time spent performing a wide variety of activities such as running, cycling or team sports into steps. Don’t forget to log those steps.
· Remember to self-report your walking and any other physical activity as part of the Fitness Tracking health action for your My Health Rewards by Medica program. When you are physically active eight times a month for three months, you’ll earn 25 points. When you earn 300 points toward your My Health Rewards by Medica program by Aug. 31, you’ll get a discount on your 2015 health insurance premiums. (In 2014, savings averaged $400 a year for a single person and $1,200 a year for a family.)
Contact Amy Friedman by email or at 673-2592.
Published Apr 15, 2014