Pedal your way to more money and prizes
Now you can win prizes and save on your 2015 health insurance premiums when you bike to work using the ZAP Twin Cities program.
Bike to work or use Nice Ride 50 times by Aug. 31, and you’ll not only save on gas and parking, avoid traffic jams, reduce carbon dioxide pollution and get great exercise; you’ll also earn 50 points toward your 2014 wellness program and maybe even win biking gear or gift cards to local restaurants and stores.
How it works
Your bike trips are tracked using ZAP technology. With ZAP technology, a tag attached to two front wheel spokes on your bike is recognized by readers throughout the city. When you pass within 30 feet of the reader, you will hear a beep, indicating you have been "zapped." Your bike trip data is then uploaded to your own personal ZAP Web profile.
Your ZAP Web profile helps you easily monitor:
- The days you rode a bicycle
- The miles you biked
- The gallons of gas you saved by biking
- The amount of carbon dioxide pollution you avoided by biking
- The calories you burned biking
When you’ve been zapped 50 times, you’ll receive 50 points in your My Health Rewards by Medica program. (It may take several weeks for the health action to be reflected on your scorecard, and you will only be credited for one bike ride per day.)
Get your bike(s) tagged at one of these locations:
- Commuter Connection office at U.S. Bank Plaza, 220 S. Sixth St., Suite 230.
- Freewheel Midtown Bike Center, 2834 10th Ave. S.
- Varsity Bike and Transit, 1316 S.E. Fourth St.
- You can also set up a tagging appointment by calling 612-370-3987, ext. 206.
- Register your personal ZAP Web profile.
- If you have an annual Nice Ride membership, link it to the ZAP Twin Cities website.
- Check out a Nice Ride bike or bike to work past at least one ZAP reader 50 times by Aug. 31. (See the map of ZAP reader locations).
Why bike to work?
When you bike to work, you:
- Save money: You’ll earn 50 points toward your 2014 wellness program when you bike to work or use Nice Ride 50 times by Aug. 31. When you earn 300 points toward your My Health Rewards by Medica program by Aug. 31, you’ll get a discount on your 2015 health insurance premiums. (In 2014, savings averaged $400 a year for a single person and $1,200 a year for a family.) You’ll also save big on monthly gas and parking expenses when you leave your car at home. Owning a car typically costs about $10,000 a year.
- Win prizes: You'll receive a reward automatically after your first 10 rides using ZAP technology. After that, you’ll automatically get entered into a drawing for prizes when you record at least eight rides a month using ZAP technology.
- Have a better day: Studies show that bike commuting amps up your productivity, concentration and endorphins, making you feel happy and less stressed.
- Get great exercise: You’ll burn calories biking to and from work, helping you get in shape. And you can self-report this physical activity in your My Health Rewards by Medica program as part of the Fitness Tracking health action. When you bike eight times a month for three months you can earn an additional 25 points on top of the 50 points you can earn through the ZAP program.
- Reduce carbon pollution: Replacing your car with your bike is better for our air quality.
For more information and to see where the ZAP readers are located, visit www.ZAPTwinCities.org.
Published Apr 2, 2014