Share your thoughts on the future Nicollet Mall
Nicollet Mall is home to some of Minnesota’s largest employers and is the first impression many travelers get of the city, region and state when they fly into the metro area and catch the light-rail downtown. The transit and pedestrian mall needs to be updated and re-envisioned to keep Minnesota attractive in an increasingly competitive marketplace nationally and globally.
For decades, Nicollet Mall has helped draw businesses into downtown Minneapolis. It’s now facing stiff competition from other regions across the country. Other cities have invested in new, updated, and innovative public spaces to recruit top talent and businesses and attract young people. A modernized Nicollet Mall would help strengthen Minnesota’s competitiveness in retaining and attracting corporations, small businesses and employees to keep this economic driver for the city and state vital for decades to come.
Take the survey
The City of Minneapolis is in the process of updating and re-envisioning Downtown’s Nicollet Mall. To help in this project, please take a brief survey about how you use Nicollet Mall and how you’d like to see it improved. The survey can be found on the project webpage: www.nicolletmallproject.com.
We have a unique opportunity to design and create a new, inviting, innovative and world-class space.
- Better Connections – Along with being a destination in itself, Nicollet Mall serves as a link to many other points of interest. A redesign will bolster these connections from the Mississippi River to the Chain of Lakes. This includes connections to the Minneapolis Convention Center, Target Field, Target Center, Loring Park and the Walker Art Center. It can also serve as an east-west connection to and from the new Vikings stadium.
- More Greenspace — We will create a greener, more open, better functioning and visually appealing space for Minnesota residents.
- Enhanced Destination – We will make Nicollet Mall a better destination for today’s users, with sidewalk dining, farmers markets and other events, which will spur local sales and state tax revenue.
- Attract and Grow Employers — A visionary, better functioning mall will create a better environment for companies to grow and for employees to be.
- Better Transit — Nicollet Mall is where many of our regional transit lines converge. A more current mall will function more efficiently and create an inviting space for workers and residents to spend part of their days.
- Better Place to Call Home – All of these improvements will make downtown Minneapolis a more attractive place to live. Current and new residents of the rapidly growing downtown neighborhoods will have jobs, stores, restaurants and improved transit all within walking distance of their front doors.
Published Dec. 24, 2013