Sept. 24 is the 2nd Annual National Voter Registration Day
On Sept. 24, non-profit organizations and other groups will lead the country’s second annual National Voter Registration Day. As part of the effort, the City’s Elections and Voter Services division will be providing materials and support to organizations involved in this effort.
Do you need to register?
If you’ve never voted, you need to register.
You need to re-register if you have:
- Moved to a new address since you last registered.
- Changed your name since last being registered.
- Have not voted at least once in the last four years.
Here’s how to pre-register:
- Fill out a voter registration application.
- Return it in person or by mail to the county or state elections office by the Oct. 15 deadline. (The return address appears on the application form.) If you mail the form, be sure to allow enough time to ensure elections officials receive your completed form by 5 p.m., Tuesday, Oct. 15.
Voter registration forms are available at Minneapolis City Hall (Room 1B), Hennepin County Service Centers, public libraries, Minneapolis Police stations, Minneapolis Fire stations, and other public offices. You can also download an application from the City’s election website to print out and submit.
Oct. 15 is the deadline for pre-registering for the 2013 election. If you register before the Oct. 15 deadline, you won’t have to register at the polls. That will save you time on Election Day because you’ll spend less time spent waiting in line to register to vote. In addition, you won’t need to bring documents with you on Election Day.
About National Voter Registration Day
In 2008, 6 million Americans did not vote because they did not know how to register or they missed their state's voter registration deadline, according to the US Census. To make sure no American is left out, volunteers from all over the country will "hit the streets" for National Voter Registration Day on Sept. 24, 2013. This single day of coordinated volunteer, technology and media efforts is aimed at creating widespread awareness of voter registration opportunities.
About Voting in Minneapolis
Visit the City’s elections website.
Published Sep 18, 2013