Workshop offers opportunity to polish your writing and editing skills
The Communications Department is offering a workshop aimed at helping employees polish their writing and editing skills. The workshop will outline a process attendees can use to create well-written, audience-focused documents.
The free workshop — “Writing and editing for City staff” — is 9:30–11:30 a.m., Thursday, Sept. 26, in Room 101, City of Lakes building, 309 Second Ave. S.
Workshop topics include:
- Identifying the key message.
- Tailoring the message to your audience's needs and interests.
- Writing for the medium (newsletter, report, website, memo, etc.).
- Using the “inverted pyramid” to organize your information.
- Ensuring complete information with the five W's and H.
- Rewriting to draw in your readers: using plain language and active voice, cutting distractions.
- Editing and proofing for meaning, clarity, readability and credibility.
- Checking punctuation, capitalization and grammar (subject-verb agreement, parallel structure, etc.)
- Using the City of Minneapolis style manual.
- Log onto HRIS
- Click on the Learning and Development link
- Click on My Learning and then Search Catalog
- Type a key word in the Search text box (e.g., writing)
- Click Search Catalog Items button
- Click on the Course Title link
- Click on View Details to check available seats
- Click Enroll button
- Click Submit Enrollment
Published Sep. 4, 2013