Employee benefits now available to same-sex spouses and their dependents

On Aug. 1, a new Minnesota law took effect which recognizes same-sex civil marriages entered into in Minnesota, as well as same-sex marriages entered into in other states and countries. As a result, employees can now extend benefits coverage to same-sex spouses and their dependents under age 26. These benefits are the same benefits available to heterosexual married couples (medical and dental coverage, life insurance, health savings accounts, etc.).

30-day enrollment requirement

Same-sex couples do not need to wait until open enrollment to extend their benefits coverage. However, they must act within a 30-day time period.

Employees can also enroll for a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or increase contributions to that account, if already enrolled. Employees currently enrolled for optional life insurance can add dependent life insurance and cover their same-sex spouses.

Couples that fail to sign up for benefits during the 30-day time period outlined above will have to wait for the next open enrollment period to sign up for benefits. (Open enrollment is held each autumn.)

Complete the necessary enrollment forms

To enroll a same-sex spouse and their dependents for City-sponsored benefit plan coverage, employees must complete enrollment forms and return them with required documents. Enrollment forms and instructions are available online at http://www.minneapolismn.gov/hr/benefits/medical/benefits_change-elections.  Additionally, employees should consult with their tax advisors to determine whether their income tax withholding should be changed.

Benefits include:

For more information

Additional information and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) documents can be viewed on the Benefits website. You may also email [email protected] or call 612-673-2095.

Published Aug 7, 2013



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo