Volunteers needed to mentor Urban Scholars
Volunteers are needed to mentor the college students who will be working in City offices this summer as part of the Urban Scholars program.
The City of Minneapolis’ Urban Scholars program is a highly competitive program that offers internships to college students to help them develop leadership skills and learn about public sector careers. Mentors serve as resources and role models to help these students succeed at their summer internships and visualize a path to achieving their ambitions.
Each mentor must:
- Be willing to meet with his or her mentee twice a month from May 20 to Aug. 9.
- Participate in the 1½ hour training session set for May 15 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in City Hall.
- Attend the mentor/mentee luncheon and Aug. 9 Urban Scholars graduation ceremony.
Mentors are good listeners and role models who:
- Guide their mentees on path to find life direction without pushing
- Offer insights about keeping on task and setting goals and priorities.
- Share insights about life and their own careers.
- Offer encouragement and constructive criticism to help mentees learn and improve.
To volunteer or learn more:
- Visit the Urban Scholars website.
- Contact Taleya Hamilton at 612-673-2339 or Taleya.Hamilton@minneapolismn.gov.
Published Feb. 13, 2013