Thinking of serving as an election judge?

The 2012 election season is upon us and that means Minneapolis will need election judges — lots of election judges. In fact, the City will need more than 2,000 election judges to staff its 117 polling locations.

Because many City employees are willing to step back from their usual jobs and help out by serving as election judges, the City Clerk’s office has taken steps to clarify policies related to compensation, scheduling and other issues applicable to City employees.

Options for compensation

City employees who wish to serve as election judges within Minneapolis, have two options for being paid for their election judge service:

  1. Serve an eight hour shift as an election judge and receive your regular City pay for those eight hours.
  2. Serve as an election judge for more than eight hours and receive your regular City pay for your normal eight hours and then receive hourly election judge pay for the hours that exceed your normal eight hours. Minneapolis election judges pay is $8.75 per hour. (Please note: There is no option for receiving overtime pay.)

Obtaining supervisor approval

In general, employees must give their supervisor 20 days notice to serve as an election judge. Supervisors can restrict the number of employees absent from the work group to ensure that regular duties are covered.

Employees who will be serving as an election judge within the City of Minneapolis do not have to use vacation, sick or compensatory time to serve as a Minneapolis election judge. Minneapolis employees who want to serve as an election judge in another community, would have to use vacation time to be granted time away from regular duties.

Requesting specific hours

Standard election judge hours are:

Employees who want to work at their regular job during their normal work hours can ask to serve as an election judge during the hours before or after their regular work schedule. Whether these special scheduling requests are granted will depend on the Election Department’s staffing needs.

Requesting a precinct assignment

Employees can ask to be assigned to a specific precinct. Whether the precinct preference can be granted will depend on the Elections Department’s staffing needs.

Obtaining more information

More detailed information can be found in the Election Judge FAQ document found in CityTalk’s policy section.

If you wish to serve as an election judge within the City of Minneapolis, fill out the Request for Time Off to Serve as an Election Judge form. This form can be found in CityTalk’s forms section.


Published Jul 5, 2012



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo