Today’s tip –
Prepare now for summer storms
With Severe Weather Awareness Week just concluded, now’s a good time to put together a household emergency kit so you’ll be ready for an electrical outage, spending time in the basement during a tornado warning or coping with the aftermath of a major storm.
Create your own home emergency kit by placing some or all of these items in a bag or box:
- Bottled water.
- Non-perishable snacks and/or ready-to-eat food.
- Battery-powered radio.
- Extra batteries.
- Cards, games, books or other items to help you pass the time.
- First aid kit, including crucial prescriptions.
- An extra set of clothing.
- Can opener, shut-off wrench and work gloves.
- Personal care items (toilet paper, soap, towels, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.).
- Any items needed by infants, elderly or disabled family members.
- List of key phone numbers (insurance agent, doctor, etc.).
Published Apr. 26, 2012