Track your progress toward lower cost option for 2013 health insurance
Employees who complete Medica’s My Health Rewards program will pay less in health insurance premiums in 2013 than folks who don’t complete the program. Annual savings will be up to $360 for employees with single coverage and up to $1,200 for folks with family coverage. To qualify for the lower premium rate (while also earning gift cards), employees must:
- Complete a Personal Health Profile (health assessment).
- Read eight health topics and set eight goals related to that topic.
- Complete two phone calls with a health coach. (Note: This is required ONLY if you are invited to participate in health coaching. Otherwise, completing the first two steps is all that’s required.)
How to track your health topic progress
Folks who set health topic goals last year, will notice that Medica’s website has saved the goals you set last year. To verify that you’re completing eight new health topics and ensure you qualify for the lower premium rate in 2013, you can track your progress on Medica’s website. When you are in www.mymedica.com (under Health and Wellness tab), click on Progress to see a list of your Plan Year Progress.
Haven’t started? Not sure what this program is about?
The My Health Rewards Program is a health and wellness program that encourages Medica members to increase their understanding of their health risks and strengths. Medica’s health assessment is administered by an independent contractor, and your individual answers are not shared with either Medica or the City of Minneapolis.
Employees and retirees who complete this wellness program are rewarded for their efforts with a health insurance premium rate that’s lower than the premium that will be charged to folks who don’t complete the program.
How to qualify for insurance premium savings and gift cards
- Complete a personal health profile. Once you have completed this health assessment, you will earn a $20 gift card. The assessment takes about 10 minutes and asks basic health questions to generate a personalized health profile.
- Read eight health topics and set eight goals. When you have completed all eight topics, you will earn a $40 gift card. After taking 10 to 15 minutes to read each topic, you will be asked to set a personal goal related to the topic. You are not required to complete your goal — just set one. You can choose from more than 200 topics to read about — everything from stress management to diabetes warning signs, finding the right doctor to staying on weight management goals while dining out.
- Have two phone calls with a health coach. (Note this last item applies only to people who are contacted by Medica to participate in health coaching. If you are not contacted, you need not participate in health coaching to qualify for the lower health insurance premium in 2013.) However, anyone who wants to take advantage of this service is welcome to participate in health coaching. Folks who complete the coaching program will earn a $75 gift card.
How to begin
Sign in to www.mymedica.com and click on the Health and Wellness tab. Be sure to have your Medica ID card on hand because you may need to register if you have not signed in before OR if your group number changed. (Your number will have changed if you switched networks during open enrollment or you completed the health assessment last year.) Then follow the prompts to complete your health profile.
For more information
Information is posted at http://www.minneapolismn.gov/hr/health/benefits_myhealthmanager.
Insurance premium note
Qualifying for the lower 2013 insurance premium is based on the employee who is the policy holder completing the My Health Rewards program. Dependents who are age 18 or older can participate in the program to earn gift cards; however, their participation will not impact next year’s insurance premium amount.
Published Feb 29, 2012