City Council elects new leadership, establishes new committees
The newly inaugurated City Council elected new leadership today and established a new standing committee structure. Lisa Bender, who represents Ward 10, will serve as president and Andrea Jenkins, who represents Ward 8, will be vice president.
Council Member Andrew Johnson (Ward 12) was elected majority leader and Cam Gordon (Ward 2), the City Council’s sole Green Party member, was elected minority leader.
The City Council also established 12 standing committees:
· Budget: Council Member Linea Palmisano (Ward 13), chair; Council Member Steve Fletcher (Ward 3), vice chair.
· Committee of the Whole: Council Vice President Andrea Jenkins, chair; Council Member Phillipe Cunningham (Ward 4), vice chair.
· Economic Development & Regulatory Services: Council Member Lisa Goodman (Ward 7), chair; Jeremiah Ellison (Ward 5), vice chair.
· Elections & Rules: Ellison, chair; Bender, vice chair.
· Enterprise: Palmisano (Ward 13), chair; Council Member Alondra Cano (Ward 9), vice chair.
· Health, Environment, Civil Rights & Engagement: Cunningham, chair; Gordon, vice chair.
· Housing Policy & Development: Gordon, chair; Ellison, vice chair.
· Intergovernmental Relations: Johnson, chair; Jenkins, vice chair.
· Public Safety & Emergency Management: Cano, chair; Fletcher, vice chair.
· Transportation & Public Works: Council Member Kevin Reich (Ward 1), chair; Bender, vice chair.
· Ways & Means: Council Member Abdi Warsame (Ward 6), chair; Fletcher, vice chair.
· Zoning & Planning: Council Member Jeremy Schroeder (Ward 11), chair; Reich, vice chair.
For a schedule of upcoming City Council meetings, go to lims.minneapolismn.gov.
Published Jan 8, 2018