Keep your pets safe during this Fourth of July weekend

On July 5, Minneapolis Animal Care and Control gets inundated with calls from pet owners whose pets panicked at the noise of fireworks and ran away, becoming lost, injured or even killed. Unlike people, pets don’t associate the loud noises, flashes and burning smells of fireworks with a celebration. The safest and best way for your pet to celebrate the Fourth of July is in a safe spot at home while you go out and enjoy the fireworks celebration with your family.

More tips to keep your pets safe during summer celebrations

·         Keep your pet indoors. Even pets used to being outside can panic over fireworks or other loud noises and break their restraint or jump a fence.

·         Keep proper identification on your pet. If your pet does break loose and get lost, without proper ID it will be that much harder to get them back. Consider microchip identification, tags with their name and your phone number, or both. It is also a good idea to have a recent picture of your pets in case you have to put up signs.

·         These are part of summer and celebrations for people but dangerous for pets:

o   Beer, other alcoholic drinks, chocolate, onions, coffee, avocados, grapes, raisins, salt and yeast dough.

o   Insect repellants and sunscreens specifically for human use.

o   Being left in a car – pets suffer brain damage and heat stroke at much cooler temperatures than people would.

o   Glow jewelry if eaten.

o   Lit fireworks.

o   Unlit fireworks – can contain toxic substances such as arsenic, potassium nitrate and other heavy metals.

o   Lighter fluid can cause skin irritation on contact, respiratory problems if inhaled and gastric problems if ingested.

o   Chemicals in matches, if ingested, can make it hard for your pet to breathe, damage blood cells or even cause kidney disease.

o   Citronella oils, candles, insect coils and other citronella-based repellants can cause pneumonia if inhaled or damage pets’ nervous systems if eaten.



Published Jul 1, 2016



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo