More than 2,500 downloads of improved Snow Emergency app in less than two weeks
In less than two weeks, thousands of drivers have downloaded the improved Minneapolis Snow Emergency app onto their mobile devices. This app helps them find out when a Snow Emergency is declared in the city and puts the Snow Emergency parking rules right in the palms of their hands.
The app, available for iPhone and Android devices, tells users whenever a Snow Emergency is in effect and includes the day’s Snow Emergency parking rules that apply. It also has an easy way to sign up for email and text alerts and features a quick call button that connects you to the Minneapolis Snow Emergency hotline.
The revised mobile app debuted on Nov. 27. Since, then, more than 2,500 new users have downloaded the app, bringing the total number of app downloads to more than 10,000. Also, data shows that more people are now getting Snow Emergency information in the evening using their mobile phone than their desktop computers.
The updated app does not send push notifications, so when the snow flies, drivers will need to open the app to find out if a Snow Emergency has been declared. Those who downloaded last year’s version of the app should update it to the current version.
The revised app compliments all the other ways the City spreads the word about Snow Emergencies including direct mail, emails, text messages, automated phone calls, social networks, the Internet, local cable television and through the news media. People should put many of these tools to use, not just one or two. The more ways people use to learn about a Snow Emergency, the more prepared they will be to do their part, and the less likely they will be to be towed.
- Hotline - By calling the automated 612-348-SNOW hotline, folks can find out if a Snow Emergency has been declared. The hotline will include the most current information regarding parking rules. The hotline includes information in English, Spanish, Somali and Hmong.
- The City’s website - Go to www.minneapolismn.gov/snow to find out whether a Snow Emergency has been declared and for a wealth of information on Snow Emergencies in many languages. Also, check out the street lookup, which lets you put in an address or a neighborhood to see where you can park during a Snow Emergency.
- Phone alerts - Minneapolis uses a high speed, voice messaging system to alert residents when Snow Emergencies are declared. People can add cellphone numbers or any other phone number to this call list by signing up on the City’s website.
- Email alerts - People can sign up to get Snow Emergency automatic email alerts.
- The media - News releases are sent to the media so TV, radio stations and other news outlets can inform their viewers and listeners that a Snow Emergency is in effect.
- Cable TV - Tune in to cable channels 14 and 79. These channels will have information in several languages when a Snow Emergency is declared.
- Facebook – Like Minneapolis Snow Emergency on Facebook.
- Twitter -. If you have a Twitter account, just follow Minneapolis Snow Emergency on Twitter. Both the Twitter and Facebook pages will tell fans and followers when a Snow Emergency is declared.
- Videos - Informative videos in English, Spanish, Somali and Hmong are available online to help explain where you can park when a Snow Emergency is declared:
Minneapolis Snow Emergency Parking Rules (English)
Find out where to park your car when a Snow Emergency is declared to avoid a ticket and a tow. Learn more in this edition of the Minneapolis "Did you know..." series.
Reglas de Estacionamiento de las Emergencias por Nevada (Spanish)
Averigüe dónde estacionar su carro cuando se ha declarado una Emergencia por Nevada para evitar una multa y remolque. Más información en esta edición de las series de Minneapolis Sabía usted.
Xanibaada Goobaha Baabuurta La Dhigto Xilliga Gurmadka Barafka (Somali)
Hel meel aad baabuurka dhigato marka lagu dhawaaqo gurmad barafka looga xaaqayo wadooyinka si aan gaariga lagaaga jiidin laguuna ganaaxin. Faahfaahin dheeraad ah waxaad ka heli kartaa nuqulkaan magaalada Minneapolis ee taxanaha "Ma ogtahay...."
Kev Cai Li Choj Txog Kev Kub Ceev thaum Daus Tau Lo (Hmong)
Thaum muaj daus tau lo, lub nroog yuav tsum tau kaus kev. Pej xeem yuav tsum tau tshem lawv lub tsheb, lub nroog thiaj li kaus tau kev du lug. Yog xav paub ntxiv, sais nroog Minneapolis cov tshooj xov xwm hu, "Koj pos paub".
Published Dec. 10, 2013