A Minneapolis pet license is your pet’s free ride home
Making sure lost pets find their way home is the focus of a new City of Minneapolis public service announcement.
Beginning Aug. 1, Comcast cable subscribers in Minneapolis will see a new public service announcement that shows how a pet license reunited a lost dog with its owner. In the video, a Minneapolis dog owner shares how “Scoop” ran out of his yard when a gate was accidently left open. Thanks to a pet license, Minneapolis Animal Care & Control was able to identify Scoop’s owner and give Scoop a free ride home instead of to the shelter. Comcast is donating the airtime to broadcast the public service announcement that is also posted on the City of Minneapolis YouTube channel.
Why license your pet?
Licensing your pet supports Minneapolis Animal Care and Control’s work to create safe and healthy communities for people and animals. Plus, there are many benefits to pet licensing including:
- It's a free ride home. If your licensed pet is found in Minneapolis, it will get a ride home instead of to the animal shelter.
- Your pet is more likely to get back home. Licensed pets are three times more likely than unlicensed pets to go home again.
- Prompt medical attention. If you pet is found injured, a pet license makes it more likely that its medical history can be located and it will get the proper medical care right away.
- It's the law for dogs, cats, ferrets and rabbits. (Minneapolis Ordinance 64.10 and 65.10)
- It helps other pets. Your pet's license helps Minneapolis Animal Care & Control
- Shelter and feed lost dogs and cats and find them new homes
- Educate the public about responsible pet ownership
- Reunite lost dogs and cats with their owners
Licensing your pet is an easy process that can be done in person at Minneapolis Animal Care & Control, on the phone, by mail or online.
Published Jul. 31, 2013