Have questions about storm cleanup?

Since the June 21 storm, Minneapolis Park Board and City crews have been working to clear city streets and remove boulevard trees from homes, garages and other structures. As this work continues, many folks who have storm damage may have questions about what to do with tree debris and other issues. See below for answers to come common questions, as well as information on how you can use Park Board and City services to help in the cleanup on your property.

As a reminder, Friday, July 12, was the last day for homeowners to bring storm tree debris to the boulevard for pick up by the Park Board. Park Board Forestry crews made street-by-street sweeps throughout the city during the weekend of July 13-14, and will continue their sweeps this week, as needed, to remove debris from any streets they did not reach over the weekend.  Residents should not put any additional tree debris curbside; forestry crews will not return to streets which were cleared starting July 13. The majority of north, northeast and southwest Minneapolis has been cleared of debris. There are areas in south central and south Minneapolis, which received the most concentrated storm damage, where crews continue to focus on hazard trees and curbside tree removal.


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the priority order for removing trees?
A: The Park Board’s top priority remains keeping city streets clear of trees, followed by removal of boulevard trees from homes and buildings, then removal of boulevard trees that pose a potential hazard of toppling due to storm damage, and lastly, removal of trees from parks.

Q: Who do I contact for questions or to report a damaged boulevard tree?
A: Park Board Forestry at 612-313-7710 or [email protected] 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays.

Q: How long will it take the Park Board to remove all downed and damaged boulevard trees?
A: It will take many weeks to clear trees, tree debris and stumps. An exact timeframe is unknown at this time.

Q: If a boulevard tree falls onto private property, who is responsible for cleaning it up?
A: The Park Board will remove and cover the removal cost of boulevard trees that fall onto private property. Property owners are responsible for repairing their private property and should contact their insurance companies.

Q: Who do I contact for removing my tree from my property?
A: Residents looking for a contractor to remove a tree from their property are encouraged to visit the City’s website for tips on hiring a contractor and a list of licensed contractors in Minneapolis.

Q: If a private tree falls across a property line, who is responsible for cleaning it up?
A: Private trees that are on private property are the responsibility of the property owner. If a tree falls from one property onto another, that is an issue between the two property owners and their insurance companies.

Q: Can I get a police report for my tree damage?
A: Police officers do not write police reports for fallen trees.

Q: Who pays for sidewalk repairs due to storm damage or uprooted boulevard trees?
A: The city will repair sidewalks damaged by the storm at no cost to the adjacent property owner.

Q: Can I take curbside logs for firewood?
A: To prevent the spread of Emerald Ash Borer (EAB), the Park Board is urging opportunistic firewood seekers to not take the tree trunks and limbs laying curbside throughout the city. Some of the curbside tree material is Ash that may be infested with EAB. The Park Board will properly dispose of all trees.

Q: Will woodchips from storm debris be available?
A: Yes. Learn more here.

Q. Can I put smaller branches out for my regular yard waste collection?
A: Yes. Residents with small branches and pieces of brush can use the regular weekly Solid Waste & Recycling yard waste collection service to have them picked up. Crews will pick up bundles of brush and small branches that are less than three inches in diameter and less than three feet long. Here's how to get them ready for pickup:



Published Jun 28, 2013



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo