Have tree damage from the storm? Make sure your contactor is licensed
Since there are so many downed trees in yards around town following Friday night's storm, many residents will be looking for a contractor to take care of the problem. It’s important to make sure the tree company you use is licensed, because unlicensed companies may not be insured for damage they might cause to your property, and their workers may not be properly trained to protect themselves and your property from damage. Here are some things residents should know when choosing a tree company:
- To find out if a tree service contractor is licensed in Minneapolis, look at this list on the City’s website.
- A licensed contractor must submit a copy of a written estimate to the property owner for approval prior to any work to be performed.
- Licensed Tree Service contractors have marked vehicles and display a City of Minneapolis license decal.
- Licensed Tree Service contractors maintain insurance in the event of damage to your property, your neighbors’ property, or if anyone is injured on the job site.
- In addition, the City requires that each tree service company hire at least one employee who has a current certification as an arborist or a college degree in urban forestry or arboriculture. This ensures the company is educated in plant health, pests and pathogen control, and other aspects of urban forestry.
Published Jun. 22, 2013