How you can help victims of Hurricane Sandy

Federal, state and local authorities are actively engaged in response and recovery operations in the wake of Hurricane Sandy in more than a dozen states. Here in Minneapolis, the City’s Office of Emergency Management staff have been in contact with the New York City’s emergency managers to offer our assistance as they work to get the communities hit by Hurricane Sandy on a path to recovery. While there is currently no need for assistance from the City as an organization, there is a need for volunteers and donations.

Voluntary Organizations Active in Disasters (VOAD) is responding with emergency shelters and other resources for citizens in need. But the sheer size of this disaster will stretch the resources of the organization. They are sure to need additional help and resources.

Minneapolis and Minnesota have always stepped up to provide support and assistance to other communities in times of need.


It is important not to “self deploy” to this or any disaster situation. Volunteer effort must be coordinated to make sure that voluntary assistance is safe, efficient and effective based on overall community needs and circumstances. If you are interested in helping the effort, contact the one of the volunteer organizations of your choice or follow the links provided below, including the link to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).


By far, the most useful donation in any disaster is money. Donated funds can be used to purchase the exact goods needed for response and recovery. If you are interested in donating money or other items, contact the voluntary organization of your choice directly, contact the American Red Cross, visit the National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disasters website to find a participating volunteer organization, or contact the local United Way organization in a specific state or city for more information. To donate bulk goods (or money) visit the National Donations Management Network website.

Do not assume any particular item may be useful. Always check with authorities before sending anything. Sending un-needed goods into an affected area can complicate or hinder disaster operations and unnecessarily delay assistance to those who need it.

Published Nov 19, 2012



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo