Positions open on new panel and commission to review police conduct

Applications are now being accepted for open positions on the newly created Police Conduct Review Panel and Police Conduct Oversight Commission.

When a complaint is made against a Minneapolis police officer, the complaint will now go to the new Office of Police Conduct Review and the civilian and police managers there will decide what course each case takes. Completed investigations will then go to the new Police Conduct Review Panel which makes final recommendations regarding the merits of the complaints to the Chief of Police, who has the ultimate responsibility to take any action.

Separate from this process is the new Police Conduct Oversight Commission: a panel of seven civilians appointed by the Mayor and City Council that will routinely audit the way complaints are handled. Based on this audit information as well as community outreach, education and engagement, the commission will suggest policy changes. With input from the commission, the process will continue to be evaluated for effectiveness and additional changes will be proposed to the Mayor and City Council when warranted.

For more information and to apply visit the Police Conduct Review Panel and Police Conduct Oversight Commission web pages.

At the beginning of October, the Mayor and City Council approved a new process for how claims of police misconduct are handled and investigated. The City sought these changes to make the review process more effective for the people who file complaints and the officers mentioned in those complaints, as well as to increase confidence and trust in police oversight, not just from people who make complaints, but also for police officers, City government and the public.  

This revised process combines the resources of the Civil Rights Department and the Minneapolis Police Department: a move that’s expected to make the review process more efficient and timely for the main parties involved. It also includes civilians throughout decision-making processes.

Published Oct 18, 2012