Directory of Services to Neighborhoods
1. Information about organizations
NCR staff support 70 neighborhood organizations and more than 700 volunteer board members across Minneapolis, providing in-depth information on neighborhood organizations online.
- Find neighborhood organization contact information, annual reports, financial reports, and other data.
- Read neighborhood stories.
- NCR staff track funding and implementation of neighborhood plans on our online database, PlanNet.
- View basic PlanNet reports.
- For access to customized reports, request a PlanNet username and password from Jack Whitehurst at [email protected].
2. Neighborhood plans and programs
NCR staff provide support for resident-based planning through neighborhood organizations:
- The Community Participation Program
- The Neighborhood Revitalization Program (NRP)
- The Community Innovation Fund
3. Neighborhood board training and support
- Learning labs, best practice guides, and training manuals.
- Customized board training for neighborhood organizations.
- Review of bylaws and other governing documents.
4. Community engagement assistance
NCR's accessibility and community engagement staff can assist neighborhood organizations with the following:
- Building and supporting relationships with underrepresented populations
- Developing community dialogues between neighborhood organizations, community organizations and cultural and underrepresented communities and their leadership
- Identifying barriers to participation for underrepresented communities and creating a welcoming environment
- Providing education and cultural context support for neighborhood organizations
- Assisting cultural communities and organizations along with other underrepresented populations understand and navigate neighborhood processes
- Recommending strategies for reaching and engaging cultural and underrepresented communities that meet your neighborhood needs
5. Audits, financial reviews and audit readiness dashboards
- NCR contracts with external CPA firms to provide financial audits, financial reviews, and other audit procedures of neighborhood organizations.
- CPAs provide Audit Readiness consultations, to help neighborhood organization boards better understand strengths and weaknesses.
- CPAs also assist neighborhood organization with required annual filings, such as federal 990 returns and the Annual Report for the Minnesota Attorney General’s Office.
6. Other Risk Management services
- NCR arranges a group Directors and Officers insurance policy that covers most neighborhood organization board and staff.
- NCR staff and legal counsel can review bylaws and other neighborhood organization policies.
7. Assist and support neighborhood organizations with problem solving
- Responding to complaints and grievances.
- Resolving conflict.
- Managing conflicts of interest.
- Guidance on procedural questions (e.g. Robert’s Rules of Order, etc.)
- Budgeting issues and financial oversight
- Forming and maintaining partnerships
- Responding to crisis situations (e.g. 2011 tornado)
8. Attend neighborhood meetings as requested
- NCR staff regularly meet with neighborhood organizations to provide guidance and information, to answer questions or provide guidance on issues such as;
- Neighborhood funding programs
- City programs and other resources
- Outreach to residents and other stakeholders
- Responding to City/develop/other jurisdiction requests
9. Community Connections Conference
- Learn more about the Community Connections Conference
10. Other Resources
You can find these other great resources for your neighborhood organization online:
- Updates for neighborhood organizations and our neighborhood programs
- Links to neighborhood organizations and contacts, neighborhood plans, funding reports, and other information
- Neighborhood profiles with maps, population data and graphs
- Planning, Zoning and Development Review
- City of Minneapolis Planning Sectors and Planners
- Zoning handouts and bulletins
- MN compass demographic data and reports for all neighborhood in Minneapolis and St Paul
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits Best Practices
- Charities Review Council Accountability Standards
Contact your neighborhood specialist to learn more!
Last updated Apr 25, 2019