Neighborhood & Community Relations

Crown Roller Mill, Suite 425
105 Fifth Avenue South 
Minneapolis, MN 55401
[email protected]


General Liability Policies for Neighborhoods

In partnership with Powderhorn Park Neighborhood Association, the Neighborhood and Community Relations Department assists several neighborhood organizations in arranging for a pooled General Liability Policy. General Liability generally covers bodily harm, or physical damage. The General liaibilty pool actually consists of three related policies: Commercial General Liability (or Commercial Business Lines), an Umbrella policy, and Property insurance. According to the Risk Management Center:

Commercial General Liability, or “GL” insurance, is often the first type of insurance a nonprofit will purchase because it provides coverage for a wide range of acts or offenses that result in bodily injury or personal injury, advertising injury or property damage to a third party. The most common occurrence under this sort of policy is what people refer to as “slip and fall” cases or “negligence” cases that result in injury.

Umbrella coverage generally provides higher liability limits than are offered under other policies that a nonprofit may have and therefore serves to increase the limits of liability on existing coverages. The umbrella policy kicks in when the limits of liability on other policy(ies) have been exhausted. Nonprofits that face the risk of high dollar losses may wish to consider supplementing their existing coverage with an umbrella policy.

Property insurance covers the repairs to or replacement of essential property, such as offices owned by the nonprofit and equipment used in programs.

The endorsements indicate additions and changes to the policies. The third endorsement to the General Liability Policy and second endorsement to the Umbrella Policy show a corrected list of neighborhood organizations included in the General Liability Policy. The endorsements under the Property Policy show corrections to that policy as well.

If you have questions or need a certificate of insurance, please call Christina McGee at Nonprofit Insurance Advisors at (651) 757-3095.

Commerical Business Lines

General Liability Policy

Policy Schedule

Umbrella Policy

Umbrella Policy

Policy Schedule

Property Policy

Property Policy


The City of Minneapolis invites and encourages participation by every resident to each program, service and event within our city. Should you require an accommodation in order for you to fully participate, or should you require this document in a different format, please let us know by contacting 612-673-3737.

Last updated Jun 3, 2014



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo