Community Planning & Economic Development

Business Licenses & Consumer Services
350 S. 5th Street, Room 1
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: (612) 673-2080
Fax: (612) 673-3399

Monday through Thursday
8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Friday 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for a liquor license?
Use the guidelines and application forms are on our website. These include checklists of what you need to do to get a liquor license.
How long does it take to get a liquor license in Minneapolis?
About six to eight weeks.
Who can I call if I have questions or complaints about a local bar or liquor store? 
1. Call 311 (612-673-3000) from 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. on weekdays and 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. on weekends.  
2. Send 311 a text at 311TXT or 311898.
3. Send 311 an email at [email protected].
4. Visit their website, Minneapolis 311, for online services and information about nonemergency concerns. 
Besides 311, is there a number I can call for more information?
1. Call Business Licenses at 612-673-2080. We are open Monday – Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Friday from 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. 
2. You can also send us an email at [email protected]
What are the acceptable forms of identification?
The main types are driver’s license, state ID, military ID and passport. The State of Minnesota has an Identification Card Requirements document on their website.
Where can I find a link to the city rules about alcohol licenses? I would like to understand the rules for businesses that sell alcohol.
See the Minneapolis Code of Ordinances, Title 14: Liquor and Beer.
How are these rules and regulations enforced?
1. Inspectors use a checklist for enforcement and accountability.
2. Inspectors do routine and complaint inspections. They are also assigned to work evenings and weekends.
What are the penalties if a business violates these rules? For repeat violations?
Warnings, citations, fines, license suspension and/or revocation.
How can I find out what my ward is and who the City Council Member for my ward is?
The City's website has a map for you to type in your address.
Do you have a City Council calendar with meeting dates? If I attend a public meeting, may I voice my concerns to the City Council?
A meeting schedule is available from our website. You may also contact your Council Member or License Inspector. If you attend a public hearing, you may speak to the City Council. 
Contact Business Licenses.
For reasonable accommodations, or alternative formats, call or email 311. People who are deaf, or hard of hearing, can use a relay service to call 311 at 612- 673-3000. TTY users can call 612- 673-2157 or 612- 673-2626.
Para asistencia 612- 673-2700. Yog xav tau kev pab hu 612- 637-2800. Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.

Last updated Jul 15, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Regulatory Services  ©1997-2019 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo