Community Planning & Economic Development

Business Licenses & Consumer Services
350 S. 5th Street, Room 1
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: (612) 673-2080
Fax: (612) 673-3399

Monday through Thursday
8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Friday 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Apply for an alcohol license

Applications for all alcohol licenses are on our website. Before you begin, look at the following.
1. Do you know what type of license you would like?
2. Do you have a location in Minneapolis? The site must approved by Zoning staff.
3. Do you meet applicant qualifications?
a. At least 21 years of age
b. No felony convictions in the past five years
c. Less than two alcohol-related misdemeanors in the past five years
4. Do you have legal and traceable funding?
5. Are you planning on offering entertainment?
6. Have you prepared a business plan? You may also need a security plan.
7. Have you thought about your menu? You need to provide a minimum number of entrees. A Health Inspector can help you with this.
8. Where are your customers going to park?
9. Have you sent a letter to your Council Member and neighborhood organization?
10. Meet with a License Inspector if you have questions.
11. Take your application to the Minneapolis Development Review Office to begin your reviews by the Zoning and Health divisions. Parking is available.
Tips to help you succeed
1. Start early. It may take extra time to schedule inspections and get approvals from the other divisions.
2. Follow the application checklist. The first page of every license application packet lists everything we need. A complete application reduces delays.
3. Know the rules.  Before you sign a lease, ask if can be contingent on getting your license. Staff from Zoning can tell you the type of business allowed at a location. You may need to give us a floor plan. You may need other permits for building, plumbing or mechanical. For more information, call or visit the Minneapolis Development Review Office. 
Contact Business Licenses.
For reasonable accommodations, or alternative formats, call or email 311. People who are deaf, or hard of hearing, can use a relay service to call 311 at 612- 673-3000. TTY users can call 612- 673-2157 or 612- 673-2626.
Para asistencia 612- 673-2700. Yog xav tau kev pab hu 612- 637-2800. Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.


Last updated Mar 30, 2020



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Regulatory Services  ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo