Community Planning & Economic Development

Business Licenses & Consumer Services
350 S. 5th Street, Room 1
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: (612) 673-2080
Fax: (612) 673-3399

Monday through Thursday
8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Friday 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Sample Notification Letter

To: City Council Members, Business Associations, and Neighborhood Organizations

1.       Locate the ward your new business is located. 
2.       Here are addresses for Council Members, Business Associations, and Neighborhood Organizations.  
3.       Prepare a written communication. A sample is below. Attach a copy of your business plan including supporting documents, if applicable. Propriety information may be redacted. 
Date ________________
Council Member _______________
Ward ______
307 City Hall
350 S. 5th St.
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Dear Council Member__________________:
I am planning to open a new ________________ (restaurant) called _______________ (the ABC Diner) in your ward. I have already arranged to lease the property at _____________________________ (address and or location: 220 First Avenue on the southwest corner at the corner of Second Street).
The (ABC Diner) will include (other specifics about the license and/or premises such as an outdoor seating area in the rear of the building for example). We plan on serving (menu description: a full menu of American cuisine, for example) in addition to (serving/selling alcoholic beverages, hosting private events.) We are pursuing a (License Type(s): On Sale Liquor, General Entertainment License. The space includes (any other specifics such as a stage perfect for dinner theater.)
I already have contacted the Zoning, Environmental Health and Licenses Divisions to determine the requirements for opening this business. Please feel free to call me with your concerns or suggestions regarding this project.
Your Name
Your Company
[email protected]
Attachment: Company Business Plan

Last updated Aug 14, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Regulatory Services  ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo