Community Planning & Economic Development

Business Licenses & Consumer Services
350 S. 5th Street, Room 1
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: (612) 673-2080
Fax: (612) 673-3399

Monday through Thursday
8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Friday 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Off-Duty Police

Minneapolis police officers can work off-duty, in an official capacity, as independent contractors for special events.  Officers can use marked squad cars when available. Officers work in full uniform. Officers working off-duty respond to police calls the same as when on-duty.

The City of Minneapolis requires event organizers or venue operators to hire off-duty officers as follows:

A. Type of Event 

  1. Events selling or serving intoxicating beverages for consumption and/or
  2. Events held in public spaces: sidewalks, streets, parks or public buildings.  
  3. Event organizers may choose to hire off-duty officers to work in their official capacity on private property.

B. Officer to Attendee Ratio  

  1. 1:500 ratio when intoxicating beverages are served.
  2. 1000 ratio when intoxicating beverages are not served
  3. Additional officers may be required based on the time of day, critical mass period, threat assessment, talent performing, type of entertainment, proximity to traffic and the impact on local traffic.  

C. Hiring Guidelines 

See the Minneapolis Police Department Off Duty Employment section of the Policy and Procedure Manual. 


For more information, send an email to [email protected].



For reasonable accommodations, or alternative formats, call or email 311. People who are deaf, or hard of hearing, can use a relay service to call 311 at 612- 673-3000.TTY users can call 612- 673-2157 or 612- 673-2626.
Para asistencia 612- 673-2700. Yog xav tau kev pab hu 612- 637-2800. Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.

Last updated Jul 24, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Regulatory Services  ©1997-2019 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo