Community Planning & Economic Development

Business Licenses & Consumer Services
350 S. 5th Street, Room 1
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: (612) 673-2080
Fax: (612) 673-3399

Monday through Thursday
8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Friday 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.



Fireworks are devices containing gunpowder and other combustible chemicals that cause a spectacular explosion when ignited, used typically for display or in celebrations. A Special Event Permit is required for indoor, outdoor, and fireworks sales.  A fire watch may be required for indoor or outdoor fireworks displays.

Permit Requirements:
1. Pyrotechnics are regulated by the Minnesota State Fire Code, State Statue, Federal and DOT mandates and require documentation submitted to Fire Inspection Services five (5) business days prior to approving and issuing permits. 
2. Detailed site plans identifying proximate audience and fallout areas; special inspections of display site and equipment including quantities, storage of fireworks explosives, ready boxes, and post display; and a peer review of shooters/operators from the State of Minnesota, Federal and DOT License Divisions to perform indoor and outdoor displays.  Operations must be approved by Fire Inspection Services-Special Inspections prior to issuing permits.

Submit applications to the Minneapolis Development Review Office at 250 S. 4th Street, Room 300, Minneapolis, MN 55415. Parking is available.

Contact Fire Inspection Services

For more information, email or call any of the following individuals for permit or code related information.
[email protected] / 612-201-2624
[email protected] / 612-673-3273
[email protected] / 612-673-3772

Fire Inspections Services Office
Public Service Center
250 S. 4th Street, Suite 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: 612-673-3000 or 311

Additional Contact Information

View list of City of Minneapolis contacts

Last updated Aug 22, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Regulatory Services  ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo