Benefits to New Employees
Basic Employee Benefit Summary*
As an employee of the City of Minneapolis you are eligible for the following benefits if you are a full time employee in a permanent position. Some part time positions are eligible for pro-rated benefits.
- Medical Plans - The City provides a variety of Medical Plans for employees and their eligible dependents. The City pays the majority of the cost of these plans. Employee contributions are based on the plan and coverage level (single or family) chosen.
- HealthCare Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA/VEBA) – The City contributes to a VEBA trust account based on the medical plan and coverage level an employee elects. This account provides tax-free reimbursement of health care expenses not paid by other plans.
- Dental Plan – The City pays the full cost of comprehensive dental coverage for City employees and their eligible dependents.
- Life Insurance – City employees receive basic life and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) coverage equal to $10,000. The City pays the full cost of this insurance. Employees may purchase additional life insurance coverage up to five times their annual salaries. Life insurance for dependents is also available.
- Minneflex – The City offers pre-tax withholding for medical and life insurance contributions. Health Care and Day Care Spending accounts allow employees to set aside a portion of their pay, pre-tax, to pay for out-of-pocket health and day care expenses.
- Long Term Disability – The City provides long term disability benefits equal to 60% of base pay after 90 days of disability for most employees. The City pays the full cost of this coverage.
- Commuter Benefits – City employees can pay for a MetroPass for unlimited transit or contract parking on a pre-tax basis.
- Paid Time Off – The City provides the following paid time off benefits:
- Vacation Pay is earned at the rate of one day per month of service and is available after six months of continuous service. Additional vacation is earned based on years of service.
- Sick Leave is also earned at the rate of one day per month of service and is available after six months of continuous service.
- 11 paid City holidays each calendar year.
A generous pension and retirement plans, a credit union, deferred compensation (457) plans, employee assistance programs and various health and wellness programs further reinforce the City’s commitment to its employees and their families.
The evidence is clear: The City of Minneapolis will recognize you as a contributing member of this dynamic organization!
* Specific provisions of the City of Minneapolis benefit plans are negotiated with our labor unions.
Last updated May 8, 2012