Information Technology (IT)
The IT Department helps City of Minneapolis departments leverage technology to meet the City’s business needs to:
- Provide better services to constituents and stakeholders
- Promote increased citizen participation in government
- Enhance staff productivity
- Capture efficiencies with enterprise technology investments.
Our mission is to deliver innovative, high quality, cost effective computing, networking, information management and business apps management services to City departments in support of their business goals and objectives. IT strives to be a valued partner in technology by providing innovative solutions to City needs, challenges and opportunities.
IT delivers service through four business lines:
- Computing: The City’s computing applications run on computers that require architecture, installation, configuration, administration (capacity management, security, performance management, etc.) and maintenance activities. IT accomplishes this through a managed services contract with Unisys.
- Information Management: The City’s computing applications make use of electronic data that requires databases to be architected, installed, configured, administered (capacity management, security, performance management, etc.) and maintained. IT accomplishes this through managed services contracts and staff.
- Networking: The City has deployed both commercial and in-house communications networks throughout the city to connect employees with their computing applications, each other, outside networks, and the Internet. Data, voice and video is transported through land line and wireless City networks. Devices supported include desk phones, cell phones, smart phones, tablets (such as the iPad), laptops, desktop PCs, etc. Communications networks require network electronics and those user devices to be architected, installed, configured, administered (capacity management, security, performance management, etc.) and maintained. IT accomplishes this through several telecommunications services contracts, managed services contracts and staff.
- Business Apps Management: Computer software systems and applications require project management, requirements gathering, business and technical architecture, installation, configuration, administration (capacity management, security, performance management, etc.) and maintenance activities. IT accomplishes this through several professional services contracts and staff.
- Professional: We deal with customers and colleagues directly, with honesty, integrity, courtesy, and respect.
- Partnership: We build partnerships through strong professional relationships with customers, vendors, and colleagues.
- Proactive and Responsive: We take initiative in providing excellent service delivery while remaining flexible and responsive to customer needs.
- Passionate: We take pride in and show enthusiasm and commitment for our work.
- Customer-Centered: IT service delivery is focused on clearly understanding customer needs and improving business outcomes. Our customers may be City departments, businesses, citizens, or other stakeholders.
- Integrated and Enterprise-Focused: IT is committed to leveraging technology investments across departments for the greater good of the enterprise.
Last updated Aug 21, 2016