The Phillips Hub - A Geographic Collaboration Created from the Technology Literacy Collaborative
Next meeting: Tentatively set for Friday, March 27, 9:00 – 10:00 a.m.
Location: East Phillips Park and Cultural Community Center, 2307 17th Ave. S.
Print and share the Phillips Hub Resource Sheet
The Phillips Community has one of the lowest rates of Minneapolis residents who have computers with Internet at home (see Minneapolis Community Technology Survey).
In 2012, IT helped form the TLC Phillips Hub, which is a group of community technology service providers and others interested in overcoming the digital divide in the Phillips community and in discussing ideas and suggestions for how computer labs located in the Phillips area might work more together to best serve the community.
The Hub began in November 2012 using the Technology Literacy Collaborative Hub concept and templates (Word) created by Sara Axtel at the University of Minnesota Broadband Access Project. Angie Willardson with Project for Pride in Living helps lead the group, coordinates the meetings and provides the meeting notes.
The Phillips Hub members so far include:
- City of Minneapolis IT Department
- City of Minneapolis Neighborhood and Community Relations
- East Phillips Improvement Coalition
- East Phillips Park Community Design Team
- Hennepin County Library - Franklin Library
- Lutheran Social Services IT and the Training and Education Center
- Minneapolis Community Education
- Minneapolis Public Housing High Rise Resident Council
- Minnesota Computers for Schools
- Osiris Organization
- Project for Pride in Living
- Takoda Institute
- University of Minnesota - Office for Public Engagement
- Waite House-Pillsbury United Communities
Meetings notes and materials
- January 2015 Meeting notes and action items
- November 14, 2014
- IT Ready expanding classes in 2015, Minneapolis location confirmed
- Takoda Institute classes and IT certification programs
- City IT Department IT jobs - entry level positions opening in spring 2015
- Fix-It Tech Events scheduled - thanks to Takoda, Waite House, IT Ready, Osiris and others, we have dates set November - March!
- CTEP AmeriCorps Member with the City will begin computer classes at East Phillips Park in January.
- September 26, 2014
- Online practice resources for the Northstar assessment created by a CTEP member at SPPL last year: http://guides.sppl.org/northstar
- Basic Computer lessons in English and Somali can be found here: http://www.mydigitalliteracy.us/
- With the help of Takoda interns, Waite House is looking into offering computer “Fix-it Clinics”. The Clinics would be more than just fixing computers, it would provide the opportunity for the residents to learn alongside the trained interns. We look forward to hearing more!
- See notes for more
- June 27, 2014
- April 25, 2014 - Thanks to Sergio and Rich for hosting us and giving us a tour of Messiah Lutheran Church Center for Changing Lives. After the meeting we met Joan who manages the computer lab. Meeting materials are below for details.
- January 31, 2014 - Welcome to Bill Roddy-Osiris, Serjio Martinez-LSS, and Shirley Hire! We toured East Phillips Park and learned about the Park Board's plans to upgrade their computer labs - East Phillips can serve as a model as they are expanding their tech offerings for the community. Osiris Organization works with youth to maintain the labs. There are several tech initiatives (coding and IT training) with youth occurring in Phillips. See also: Black Data Processing Associates
- November 8, 2013 - We toured the Takoda Institute, discussed low cost computer and Internet resources, the 2013 Broadband Summit, and the 2014 Digital Inclusion Forum.
- The group is exploring how we can leverage opportunities from Connect2Compete and how we can include all zip codes in the Phillips Community for eligibility for the Freedom Pop offerings.
- One concern from the group is the limited time available and expertise needed to help residents with the technology questions that arise when we share information about the low cost options and tech resources.
- Takoda Institute Course Catalog - See Computer Support Specialist on Page 9, and Health Information Technology Specialist on Page 13
- October 10, 2013 - Minnesota Library Association Conference Presentation
- August 22, 2013
- June 27, 2013
- The Phillips Hub team scheduled a GED session for the June 13 Technology Literacy Meeting, hosted by Franklin Library. In 2014, the GED test will move to an online format. Presentations and resources from the meeting are below.
- April 4, 2013
- January 24, 2013
- November 13, 2012
See also: 5th Ave High-Rise initiative
Last updated Jan 23, 2015