Minneapolis requires that every rental dwelling, including single-family rental dwellings and rental units in owner-occupied duplexes, and rooming and shared-bath units (unless they are in a licensed lodging house) must have a rental license.
Why License Rental Properties?
The intent of the rental license ordinance is to:
- Promote the health, safety, and welfare of the general public.
- Assure preservation of the existing housing supply.
- Help maintain property values.
- Work toward eliminating substandard and deteriorating rental housing.
- Maintain a living environment that contributes to healthful individual and family living.
For more information on the licensing process, call 311 or outside Minneapolis city limits call (612) 673-3000.
- Rental Property Checklist (pdf)
- Substandard Rental Dwelling Violation Schedule (pdf)
- Rental Property Utility Rebate Information (pdf)
Last updated Jun 22, 2015