Reporting a Stolen Vehicle
Often vehicles thought to be stolen are, in fact, towed due to parking violations. Before reporting a stolen vehicle:
- Was the vehicle located within the City of Minneapolis? If not, call the police department of the city where it was last seen.
- Use our Online Vehicle Search to find out if the City has your vehicle.
If your vehicle is NOT found at the Impound Lot, call (612) 673-5777 and a customer service agent can help you with a stolen vehicle report.
Requirements for Reporting a Stolen Vehicle
- Only the registered owner may report a stolen vehicle
- You must have the License Plate Number or Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
Don’t know the license plate or VIN number?
Your insurance company can provide you with your vehicle’s VIN. Try looking on your latest insurance statement or the vehicle title.
Have you missed one or more car payments? Could your vehicle have been repossessed?
- If you suspect that your vehicle has been repossessed call your finance company.
Repossessors will notify the Impound Lot of recently repossessed vehicles. The Impound Lot may be able to verify your vehicle has been repossessed, call
Last updated Sep 27, 2011