Metropass: Pre-Tax Public Transit Benefit
The Transportation Equity Act of 2000 (IRS Code Section 132) allows the City of Minneapolis to provide valuable tax savings to its employees for mass transit expenses. The City offers you the opportunity to take advantage of this tax exemption by enrolling in the Metropass program and purchasing a pass on a pre-tax payroll deduction basis.
The Metropass currently costs $60 per month and allows a participant unlimited bus and light rail rides while enrolled.
City of Minneapolis non-sworn regular full-time employees, non-sworn regular part-time employees, and non-sworn seasonal full-time employees are eligible.
Independent Board and Agency employees should contact their Human Resources Department to determine if the board or agency has established a Metropass program.
How It Works
- Visit the Commuter Connection located at 220 South 6 th Street, Suite 230, to have your photo taken for your new Metropass. Commuter Connection will provide you with a photo receipt that must be attached to your completed enrollment form.
- Enrollment forms must be received in the Human Resources Benefits Office by the first Friday of the month in order for your Metropass to be effective the first of the following month. Authorized pre-tax deductions occur on the 2 nd paycheck of the month and pre-pay the following month.
- Once you experience a payroll deduction from the 2 nd paycheck of the month, you will be notified regarding the date and time that you may pick up your new Metropass (your signature is required).
- To use, simply touch your card to the Go-To reader on your bus, or at the rail station, before you ride.
- The Metropass is valid for an express rush hour fare of $3.00. You may add up to $200 in value to your Metropass to pay long distance surcharges including the increased fare for the Northstar Line. You can add value online, at any Metro Transit store, or at rail station ticket machines.
- If the Metropass is damaged, lost or stolen, there is a $20 fee for the first replacement and a $40 charge for a second replacement. Metro Transit may refuse a third replacement within the same 12 months for a lost or stolen pass. A fee of $20 will be charged for a name change request. There is no charge to replace a defective card.
- An employee that terminates participation and wishes to re-enroll in the program will be charged a replacement fee of $20. The $20 replacement fee will be waived if the employee only temporarily suspends participation in the program – from one month to three months.
- To temporarily suspend your program participation please call (612) 673-3347.
- Participants may cancel participation twice each year.
- After the second cancellation, the employee must wait until the following calendar year to re-enroll in the program.
- The cancellation form must be received in the Human Resources Benefits Office before the first Friday of the month to be effective the first of the following month. There will be no refunds for late cancellations.
- Participants MUST return their Metropass to the Human Resources Benefits Office when participation is cancelled or the employee terminates employment.
Last updated Jan 15, 2014